Surge Tank And Dual Fuel Pumps (not In Tank Illegal)

Guest Sbox

Members dont see this ad

thank god i didnt get flamed.

thought i might bring up the setup in the gt40 just coz it might be of interest

it has 3 fuel tanks two side tanks which run up either side of the car and one smaller tank not sure were it is but the 2 mains pump into the smaller tank makin a surge tank setup it has varius pumps and is really well setup for circuit but for street it will prob b very loud and annoying.

this car will be awsome as and belive it or not I'm actually teasching the owner about efi stuff as he basically doesnt know anything hes a carbies guy

The reason lift pumps and surge tanks are used is generally on cars which have been converted from carby to EFI. In a carby car, the fuel tank often doesn't have baffles, which means surges/starving of the fuel pump happen all the time. However, the carby itself acts as a surge tank (and the fuel pump is often in the engine bay), and so fuel supply to the engine is always constant. In an EFI car, the fuel pump is in the fuel tank, which is baffled to prevent the pump sucking in air instead of fuel and starving the engine. Cars which are converted to EFI often keep the old un-baffled carby tank, and thus need a surge tank (often tall and skinny, like a bottle) and lift pump to prevent surges from starving the fuel pump (which because of the pressure is a very bad thing).

Edited by Hiro Protagonist