Ke70 Power?

Shadex

I'm not sure why everyone says an open centre is unpredictable..?? i don't seem to have any troble.

it seems that a locker is preferable but when your not actualy getting a lot of wheel speed when you sliding (low power) it dosent seem to make as big of a diffrence. maybe my technique is diffrent to everyone elses? i do not belive with how my car is at the moment a locker would make it slide any better. i can power over in the dry with a bit of speed if i wish, or slider properly.

you will also find that with cut springs they transfur weight alot, with low poer you can make this work to your advantage buy steering out and turning in hard toward the apex of the corner. as you turn in this is the time to pull the handbreak. you will need it to lock the wheels but only for a fraction of a second, put the power all the way on and countersteer. your countersteering angle should be less than in the wet because there is more grip. you should also countersteer slower in the dry or you will not hold the slide and it will snap back if you pile on the counter steer (this is when you hit that pole etc). practace makes perfect, do it some where sensible. grab a copy of drift bible, if i had seen this it would of helped me out when i was first starting.

it can be done quite easly without a locked diff. a locked diff also makes it a real paint for everyday and grip driving.

Edited by tas_ae71

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm going to go back to my first post and say that I hope none of this is happening on the street. This is the sort of shit that makes it hard on everyone with a modified car. We get tarred with the same brush.

If you want to learn to drift, become a member of a car club, get a CAMS (or whoever) licence and start autocrossing. This is the place to learn car control not on some intersection where mum dad and the kids are could be coming the other way.

By the way, I'm not some do gooder. I done some stupid shit when I was young but learnt after a couple of close calls that it is not worth it on the road.

as i said in a SENSIBLE place, i didnt say on the street..

if you must do it on the street then do it where there is no chance of you hitting someone else so its only yourself that gets hurt, i.e. not in towns where there are people.

Edited by tas_ae71

I'm going to go back to my first post and say that I hope none of this is happening on the street. This is the sort of shit that makes it hard on everyone with a modified car. We get tarred with the same brush.

If you want to learn to drift, become a member of a car club, get a CAMS (or whoever) license and start auto crossing. This is the place to learn car control not on some intersection where mum dad and the kids are could be coming the other way.

By the way, I'm not some do gooder. I done some stupid shit when I was young but learnt after a couple of close calls that it is not worth it on the road.

Seriously if you do that when mum and dad are picking up little Johny or whatever your not thinking straight.

Maybe i should go back and revise what i said.

Get rid of the automatic as you don't have a much of a chance with a K motor in front of it not enough balls. Most of what NoPsi said is true as in don't go thinking your being a wimp and decide to yank on the hand brake trying to get it out but take it slow, But like it's been said a 4k will slide in the dry. Listen to tas_ae71 as he knows what he's on about in connection to sliding with "less" power than most.

Take a page from NoPsi's book and take it slow and mod you car the right way or you will end up in a ditch.

at the end of the day its upto you what you do, no one can really stop you.

do you think its possible to drift with basicly a stock car with 12kwatw on a open track with a hotmix surface...? no

but you are able to do motorkanas and the like which is low speed.

edit: also depends on where you live as to whats availalbe... there are drift practace days in tassie about once a month at the other end of the state on a track that requires more power to do anything than i currently have. the track thats close to me does not allow any drifting other than the very occational organised driftdays. its also quite expensive but that cost may pay off if your stupid and crash your car all the time from going over board and exeeding yours and your cars level.

Edited by tas_ae71

couple of points

1. I didn't mention motorkhana's. I said autocrossing. Totally different animals. Autocrossing requires a 2S (speed) license. When I was autocrossing I was sideways at close to max revs in third gear (7000+) on hardpacked clay covered with granite sand. Nothing I have done on the road required the same control as that.

2. Either a KE70 is a very different animal to drive (never been in one), you have a very healthy 4k or you have set up yours totally different to my old KE35 of KE20. Both had worked 5K's and neither of these would step out without severe provocation in the dry.

3. I've always be against the clock and sideways usually equals slow so I set my cars up not to slide as best I could.

4. I never said that you were not capable of successfully drifting. I know it takes a great deal of skill to do it properly. I feel public roads are not the place for it. We have had a number of kids killed at school over the last couple of years trying this. Unfortunately the driver, who survived, killed his mates. Hell of a thing to live with in a small town.

As you said though, its your personal choice, and you will have to wear the consequences of your actions.

Edited by coln72

i drive/drift a hell of a lot better knowing its only me in the car and not any passengers.

i know you whernt saying that i was not able to drift properly and i do not claim to be any DK either.

yes a ke70 is very diffrent to a ke20 or 35. 4k is newer and usually a little more power, the suspensions is quite alot diffrent too.

as i said i don't want to hurt myself, my car or anyone else so when i do deside to drift i do it in a enviroment as safe as i can short of the track. i use industrial areas out of business hours so there is usually only one way in and out. there are nice corners, road has good surface and has sloping gutters should i mess up. this provides the opotunity to have a real crack with quite a bit of speed once you are able to do as much as you can at lower speeds without the worry of cliffs, gutters, people, cars etc. you can also try diffrent techniques.

2 example of my drifting experiences saving my stupid skin.

it was wet and i was driving to my mates place and i was aprotching a right hand corner. i started to slow down for the corner and i down shifted to 3rd then 2nd missing the accselerator and compression locking throwing the car sideways. i put on a little power countersteering into the apex and straitend it up.. i was sliding sideways 50 meters before the apex. i was shocked and suprised by what happened i wasn't really thinking about it and didn't intentionaly do it. most peole would of ended up the island in the middel of the road or up the gutter. would of been a sight to see although i will not try it again as i didnt try it the first time.

about 4 days ago i was driving a long a back road. i was doing a fair speed 80 or so had just got the car going well and was givving it a run. extatic about the way it was performing i forogt how sharp one of the corners where and hard braking and throwing it back some gears i managed once again to comp lock 3rd this time. with my lights shining at the inside fence that i was pointed at i gave it a touch of brake to transfur the weight foward and giving small counter steer to quickly bring it back.

i have plenty more stories but i will save them for another day..

Edited by tas_ae71

Yes i understand what your saying.. I live out away from Civilization .. i do have abit of a play around on empty streets.. ( where housing deviliments hasn't even started. ) but the rest is for the track.. As i stated i have been just playing around and even some mates have driven it, That have drift cars.. and said its gonna be really hard to get that to slide.. i mean I think ill get this suspension worked out and go from there! thanks for all the help guys.

eeerrr yeah i would say that is a bit wide, unless you have a 3sgte. hell even alot of 4agte's wouldnt chew them off real easy.

13's for all out loss of traction. i used 175/14's on the rear always have since i put wheels on the car, they give fairly good control, alot better than and stock 13's. they are also over a 7" rim so that pulls the tyre tight not exactly strech but its a nice fit. also they are very common and easy to find use ones.