Tachometer Wire Colours

Hirst

Have been studying wiring diagrams from Toyota and Daihatsu in an effort to figure this out, but I'm just not 100% sure.

Basically, I need to fit a tachometer to my car. Unfortunately as my car is a Charmant, I can't just swap in a tacho version dash like you guys - they do exist, but they're so rare that I could be waiting literally years for one to turn up (if one ever does). So I bought an Omori gauge which rather optimistically goes up to 10000rpm. Then I took out all the surrounds etc. and was a bit disappointed to find that the wiring connectors are different to the KE70 ones.

dashboard.jpg

However, I suspect that the wires themselves may well mean the same thing! So I'd just like someone to confirm whether these wires are largely the same as the KE70 ones and which I need to "tap" to get my Tachometer on.

On the left hand side we have this:

lhside.jpg

This controls the "Stop" Warning Light, Oil Light, Battery Fill Light, Battery Light, Fuel Level.

On the right hand side we have this:

rhside.jpg

This controls Headlight, Door Open Light, Parking Brake Light, Battery Fill Light (again?) and the Digital Clock.

I suspect that the Brown/Black wire on the right hand side is for a tachometer.

According to translated Tachometer instructions I need 4 of 6 wires hooking up (others are a redundant one and one for an external shift lamp):

Black - Earth

Red - Ignition Plus (does this mean power?)

Green - Minus Coil Ignition (suspect this is the one for the brown/black tach)

White - Lighting

Would appreciate any help I can get!!

Members dont see this ad

yeah hirst ,

the easy way is just hook it up like this

BLACK ,, earth, body of the car

RED .... power , ignition ON on your key

GREEN.... your minus side of the coil

WHITE.... cut into you parker wire an join into it

simple mate ,, easy 20minute job ,

adam