Brake Upgrade For Ta22?

demuire

Members dont see this ad

It appears that it all bolts up (mostly anyway), and if it does then it'll be a far more straight forward and cheaper, and better upgrade than most of the usual Toyota upgrades eg Pug discs + Hilux calipers.

S13 brakes (well, the SR20DET versions) seem fairly big, and if I'm not mistaken the calipers are alloy like most other Dattos of the era. The equivalent in the "usual" would probably be Pug discs and Mazda RX7 calipers, and we all know how much RX7 calipers cost.

In fact, if the S13 front end does bolt in, then you can do the usual brake upgrades for S13's, and if I'm not mistaken the Skyline stuff bolts on? I think Craig was running Skyline rotors and calipers for a bit but couldn't find wheels to fit or something...

..........and if I'm not mistaken the Skyline stuff bolts on? I think Craig was running Skyline rotors and calipers for a bit................

Skyline breaks would be massave overkill on a rolla,

my r32 gtr calipers and r33 gtst rotors * same size * is overkill for my car.. and it weights how many hundreds of kg's than your cars :insane:

there is sutch thing as breaks ''too'' big :jason:

`josh

there is sutch thing as breaks ''too'' big

Hell no :insane:

The brakes on my car are probably overkill (276mm vented slotted rotors on the front with 4 pot calipers and Race Brakes RB74 pads, 280mm solid rotors on the back with single piston calipers), but I still want more :jason:

Go for your life. There isnt much point. But hey I'm not gonna stop you.

The bigger the brakes get in proportion to the weight of the car, the easier they will lockup when braking on the limit. And the bigger they go after that the easier they will lockup away from the limit. So theres not much point putting say V8 supercar brakes on a corolla. Unless of course youve got ABS then go for your life....

Umm. I wouldn't agree with that.

There are a few advantages of bigger brakes.

1) There is a lot more POTENTIAL braking power. Because of that you aren't maximising your brakes when you get to the point of lock-up, and it is easier to control on the limit because you don't have to mash the pedal to the floor to get it to that point. More braking power also means if you do get better tyres then you will be able to utilise it better.

2) Because you aren't maximising your brakes to pull up, you generate less heat, and because your brakes are bigger, you dissipate the heat faster. This equates to less brake fade, and more effective braking.

And no, I didn't say I was going to do this conversion either, I've already got big brakes on my car. It was just an option for anyone seeking out bigger brakes.

Seriously though Ben, sometimes I wonder where you get your ideas from...

If bigger brakes were a disadvantage, I'm really wondering why they bother to put them on race cars and stuff. Have you ever seen the size of the brakes on a Lotus Exige? And that's a really light car too. And I have a feeling it may not have ABS. Or maybe it does, I forget. A lot of race cars don't though. But they still have big brakes.

It is true that putting ridiculously big brakes on a small car with a small engine (eg putting the brakes from Hal onto Pinky) is probably a waste of money since you'd never ever get fast enough to use them anyway, but I wouldn't call it a disadvantage.

In fact, the only disadvantage I can think of to big brakes is weight. But the advantages far make it worthwhile, especially if you're using alloy calipers.

Oh well, believe what you want, I like my big brakes.

slicks.....thats why race cars have big brakes. And even so how many lockups do you see? V8 supercar brakes are still only 400mm or so.

Youve almost proved my point with 'advantage' #1 and #2 can be a disadvantage too. Most perfomance brake pads need heat to work. No heat is a bad thing. I believe avaloneas pads don't come up to full effectiveness until about 400 degrees centegrade. The same with most race car brakes.

Meh you believe what you want to because I doubt I'll ever make a difference.

you do have a point demuire, and i understand where your comeing from.

but after some reading up on my own setup, i decoverd something intersting,

breaks need heat to operate, if your breaks are too big for the car. you can't produce the momentum needed to get the breaks into operating temp,

its a fine ballance :insane:

`josh

breaks need heat to operate, if your breaks are too big for the car. you can't produce the momentum needed to get the breaks into operating temp,

Then use "normal" brake pads. Cheaper, and they'll probably still work better than small brakes with race pads.

Most race pads aren't suitable for street use anyway, because of the large amount of heat required for them to work effectively, and even with "small" brakes you still need to sit on them to get them to heat up, and then if you don't use them for awhile they cool down again and then they stop working again.

For the same reason, cross drilled discs aren't really suitable for street use because they don't like heat cycles too much. Again, same with race tyres.

It's all a compromise. I use race-oriented brake pads on the front of my car. They probably aren't the best, but they work fairly well cold, and rather well hot (though they squeel a bit). Even with massive brakes on the car you just need to sit on the brakes a bit and they'll heat up. I can get my "oversize" brakes to operating temperature well before I even get to the bottom of my street.

Oh well, like I said - believe what you want. I don't claim to know everything, or be a professional at anything (hell I know there is a lot I don't know), but this is my opinion anyway. If you feel that small brakes are better, then well... so be it.