Ae92 Corolla Liftback Unlocks Itself....

cewing

I'm new to the rolla club, i've got a ae92 (1991 model, i think its an ae92) corolla seca ultima(probably a liftback/hatchback to most people)

Its having problems with its remote central locking. the remote part is obviously 3rd party, but the car came with central locking.

About once every 2-3 days when I come to drive home from work I find the car unlocked. Where I live its not really an issue so much, but parking in around parramatta and the city of sydney I worry someone's gonna piddle off with me car :)

Does anyone know what could be causing an issue such as this, and where the 'brains' can be found to look for any obvious faults?

Cheers

Cewing

Members dont see this ad

I once had an issue with not being able to lock or unlock (depending on the cars mood) either of my front doors, sometimes they would lock and stay that way and sometimes they would be unlocked and not be able to be locked again, drove me nuts......

Oh, this is in my AE92 hatch........

I ended up pulling the doors apart and finding some dodgey-bagain-basement-aftermarket central locking system had seized and was holding my locks in whatever position they felt like siezing at on that given day......... I promptly removed said central locking system and threw it in the bin.......

My point is that it could be the C/L unit itself, or it could be a fault in the wiring, My guess would be that one door has failed and is throwing the other door into confusion as to where the locks are meant to be sitting.........

The other (somewhat unlikely) option is that your C/L is getting a voltage drop (worn wiring maybe) and is thinking the battery is nearly dead, this causes some C/L systems to enter it's fail-safe mode to stop the C/L from locking you out of your car, so it pops your locks using (the last bit of battery power available)........

These are only possibilities suggested to give a few things to look for......... Good luck.

THanks for the reply.

Tell me, am i likely to find the control board under a kick panel, or in one of the doors? or does each door have a smaller control board? its a factory central locking system, just so i know what I'm looking for..

I guess i could try isolating one door one week at a time to see if i get any problems still.

My system does exactly what i tell it to, theres no problem with control there. Just sometimes it is unlocked when i come back to drive him home.

Thanks very much

Cewing

Ok, this is me showing exactly how little I know/understand about cars.........You lost me at control board........My C/L was a little black box in each of the front doors that had electric motors and stuff in it, it was actuated by the key in the lock and sent a signal to the opposite door's C/L unit, making that door do what the first door did, until it jammed.........That's it.......

As far as factory systems go, I'm over my head, hopefully one of the other guys here will be able to be more helpful than me........

But if you don't HAVE to have C/L, my suggestion is to remove it outright, makes life simple.......

When i had central locking in my old '82 seca it was all fine for a few good years till it, for some reason or another, the front passenger c/l would pull itself out of alignment or something and when the actuator pulled the lock knob (or what ever its called) down causing the joining rod to act like a spring and push the lock knob back up and in turn unlock the other doors.

My fix for it was to open the hole around the lock knob a little, move the actuator a little, re-bend the rod a bit more and disconnect the trigger wires from the actuator.

So yeah try with disconnecting a door at a time. Shouldn't have to worry about the back doors, it'd be one of the front doors doing it

AFter much hesitation i've pulled my passenger door covers off, it has thick twin wires which send power to operate the lock(lock or unlock). Also has a smaller 3 wire cable that tells the other doors to unlock/lock when the lock is operated either by hand or key. I've disconnected those wires, just incase it was sending that signal to unlock the car for no reason. Thanks for your suggestion towe, if disconnecting doesnt work i'll be sure to check it out :y: