Speedometer Problem After Upgrading To 5spd!! :(

rsdn

Hi there everyone,

I m from m'sia.... i just upgraded my KE30 to five speed....my problem is the speedometer now....

it is showing more than the normal speed. (i.e i have tested while driving behind my frens car. His showed 70kmh mine 80kmh)

and also i have tested the milage on the meter, it does not tally with the actual travelled distance in the highway...

the meter shows less ( meter milage: 84-86 km actual distance: 100 km )

what could be the problem?

A friend of mine told me that this maybe bcos the car which the gbox came from had miles (mph) speedometer..

Well i have changed the meter and the problem still the same...

I have checked my differential and it is u292 6" 4.1 2 pinion.

Pls Help......

Members dont see this ad
  • 3 weeks later...
you need to swap over the speedo cable drive gear on the end speedo cable (gearbox end) this unit is held inside the back housing of the gearbox by a plate with 1 bolt.

I have checked with the mechanic.. we took both the drive gear from the 5spd and 4spd and compared them... they seem to be not in same size... the 5 spd gear drive is smaller and has 19 teeth whereas the 4 spd has 22. Is there any way else to solve this problem... anyone has checked the number of teeth in a 5spd ke70 drive gear.. Thanks!

hmmm, well ive got a 20 tooth speedo gear in my 4 speed and its out by like 10 percent, because i need the 22 tooth one i think

Guess that is my problem too.. my speedo is out around 15 percent... is this means if I can get a 22 tooth drive gear, it can solve my problem.. will it fit the other gear inside the gearbox as i presume it meant for the 19 tooth...because my mechanic told me that it might destroy the gear inside the gearbox...how bout the diameter of the drive gears? the K40 was bigger than this K50...

Thanks.

umm I'm not sure, but I'm prety sure ive run a 20 and a 22 in my ke30 lol

ill see what one ive got spare if its a 22 tooth one i could post it, or if its a 20 one i could put it back into my ke30 n see what its like then post the 22 one from in there

what is your location?

Edit: or you could just goto the wreckers find a ke30 with a 5 speed and ripped out the speedo drive

actualy i was at the wreckers 2day n found a ke30 with a 5 speed, was thinking about getin it coz the engine was out so no work to be done basicaly but i didnt lol

Edited by Shizotimang

umm I'm not sure, but I'm prety sure ive run a 20 and a 22 in my ke30 lol

ill see what one ive got spare if its a 22 tooth one i could post it, or if its a 20 one i could put it back into my ke30 n see what its like then post the 22 one from in there

what is your location?

Edit: or you could just goto the wreckers find a ke30 with a 5 speed and ripped out the speedo drive

actualy i was at the wreckers 2day n found a ke30 with a 5 speed, was thinking about getin it coz the engine was out so no work to be done basicaly but i didnt lol

I m from Malaysia.... Here KE30's did not come with 5 spd... So I had to get a starlet gearbox so that it does not require me to cut holes on the floor... I ll check it out with my mechanic and the wreckers here whether i can get the drive gear with 22 teeth...