Suspension For Ae71

ae71neo

This is mainly aimed at Paul, as he has alot of experience in this area with setup and so forth. But anyone and everyone please give your opinions. Basically i am looking for something low and stiff. Isnt everyone? hahaha.

I have a pair of short stroke TRD front shocks here but nothing for the rear. I want to go on the cheap, but not dodgy cheap. One of my main questions is are coilovers really necessary in the front? I mean if you get custom springs made up, using 400ish lb springs, the suspension isnt going to be moving very much and wouldnt that keep the spring captive? So my first dilemma is coilovers or not in the front. Second is what to use in the rear. Garage Dori website has a good website explaining different shocks from other cars which can be used. For example:

Hilux (front shock)

Extended length: 420mm

KYB Monotube (Gas) Rating (KG5437): 3100/1000

Peugeot 505

Extended length: 420mm

Extended minus Body: 270mm

KYB Twin Tube (Oil) Rating (344004): 1900/600

Compared to stock:

AE86

Extended Length: 560mm

Closed Length: 335mm

Assuming they are the same as AE71 that is. By going this way i reckon you could get away with it cheaply. I have front shocks, get puegeot, for eg., in the rear and then custom springs, i don't see that going much over $550 - $600.

Which leads me to my next question, where to get custom springs made up. I want 7-8kg fronts, with 6kg in the rear. Anyone know where i can go and say i want this blah blah, and they make it?

Although the other alternative is a full pedders package which uses sports ryder in the rear, comfort in the front (don't make sports for the front) and 45mm lowered springs. But i don't think that is going to be that stiff, and also it will cost about $650 trade.

I would love Techno Toy coilovers for the front but they raised there prices and thats gonna cost somewhere about $900 just for the fronts... Then there is tokico hts $767 delivered is what i got quoted, which isnt that bad, but I'm trying to do it on the cheaper.

So, what should i do?

Members dont see this ad

height adjustable coilovers aren't "necessary", you'll find most people who have them only use two or three different settings. however, it's much easier to fine tune your ride height compared to having custom springs made, and most height-adjustable springs are of a smaller diameters, so you can lay the struts in more for greater negative camber

i think you're going way too heavy on your springs but whatever floats your boat. if i were you, i'd be using ae86 power steer arms and struts with bigger front brakes (ae86, corona, celica, cressida, etc). i would go as far as to say any money you sink into little corolla struts is money wasted

I wouldn't exactly say I'm experienced on the subject but I can make a few recomendations. I think coilovers would be a wise investment. The inital cost is higher but adjustability is what you want. What if you find 400lbs is too stiff or too soft! :lol: Try and get as much adjustability into your setup as possible and f@$k with it until you find what works for you. I know of people with 10k springs in their AE86 which may seem astronomical but it seems to work for them. I currently have 7k in the fron of mine and I was looking at dropping it down to 6 or 6.5.

More important is the choice of shock. This is where money should be spent. don't go and blow 800 bucks on HTS if its out of your budget but money spent here can make or break a suspension setup.

Also remember, you can spend all the money in the world on suspension but it doesent mean shit if you havent got the skills behind the wheel. I've seen too many people whove dumped shitloads of cash into their car but couldnt drive a well lubed stick up a bulls arse to save their own life.

Yeah my fronts are RA65 celica. Dunno what they're worth, I pulled them off skidmans parts car for nothing. Anyone with an angle grinder and a welder can make coilovers. I can't remember what my coilover sleeves were worth. My fulcrum ones were around $100 but I didnt end up using them. That also didnt include the top hats for the top of the spring. I just took my struts, and shocks to Paul at Rallytorque and let him weave his magic on them. They cost me just over $300 each but that included the coilover sleeves, top hats, 400lbs springs, strut case shortening and a little spacer i needed so I caould use the standard strut top. Plus they look like a work of art. I've never seen such neat welding in my life. Worth every cent if you ask me.

Sigma control arms rock. $30 for big camber instead of $300 for cusco camber tops. Works well with RA6x struts as you end up with positive camber if you use standard control arms, although the camber gets a bit excessive (4-5 degrees) if you use standard struts. Josh's cat piss yellow AE86 is a good example of sigma arms with standard struts. I have less pronounced 3 degrees on mine.

Edited by mumblezzz

I'm also considering a strut change into KE70/AE71 using RT132 struts. I've believe the steering arm bolt pattern is compatible.

It seems as though the RT132 strut runs a greater angle deflection from parallel between strut axis and hub face (ie. more inherent positive camber with RT132 strut).

Any ideas what camber will be achieved with these struts? How much longer are the Sigma arms? How about TA22 arms?

(Sorry, no real time to get to Pick a Part with a tape measure just yet!)