Ke20 Conversion Questions = Newbie

chris1600

Hey Guys and Gals,

I've been into cars and things for ages and have been doing up my Datto 1600, but before i got it i had been obsessed with Yota Sprinters, and moreso 4age motors.

So ive wanted a ke70 for ages, but their all 'sold out' now, and i like to have something a little different, and now have developed a love for KE20's. Only problem is, i have next to no knowledge about them, and before i go and source one i need to know what sort of things i need to look for, and what sort of aftermarket parts are available.

So, i plan on getting myself one of these neat little corollas for a daily while my 1600 is off the road, but after that i will want to make the rolla into a little weapon :)

So to questions:

1. To install a 4ag, what needs to be done? I searched it before and discovered that you can buy engine mounts? Will sump mods or any major mods be needed or will the motor just bolt in and happy days? Or will an ae71 or sprinter front end bolt in? As i know that you can use the xmember and engine mounts from them in ke70s...

2. Suspension and brakes: What bolt on brake upgrades are there? I will want to lower the car and make it handle like a go-kart, and wont be able to fabricate my own parts... are there places available that sell coilover kits and brake upgrades? AJPS?

3. Will s-series or t-series diffs bolt in? don't want to be blowing diffs...

Basically i know a bit about doing the conversions in ke70s, i just need to know if the same parts will bolt into the earlier cars...

Cheers guys

Members dont see this ad

To answer your question about number 2. I'm sure you can ask suspension shops for Hopper Stopper kits, though I am not 100% sure if they will go on a KE20. Though there is no harm in asking. Though the custom suspension will not be cheap. Looking around $2000-$4000 Depending what kind of suspension you really want. Some states will also may want a blue plate for having a custom suspension setup..

Though I know next to nothing as well on KE20's.

Hope this helped a little.

Hey Guys and Gals,

I've been into cars and things for ages and have been doing up my Datto 1600, but before i got it i had been obsessed with Yota Sprinters, and moreso 4age motors.

So ive wanted a ke70 for ages, but their all 'sold out' now, and i like to have something a little different, and now have developed a love for KE20's. Only problem is, i have next to no knowledge about them, and before i go and source one i need to know what sort of things i need to look for, and what sort of aftermarket parts are available.

So, i plan on getting myself one of these neat little corollas for a daily while my 1600 is off the road, but after that i will want to make the rolla into a little weapon :jamie:

So to questions:

1. To install a 4ag, what needs to be done? I searched it before and discovered that you can buy engine mounts? Will sump mods or any major mods be needed or will the motor just bolt in and happy days? Or will an ae71 or sprinter front end bolt in? As i know that you can use the xmember and engine mounts from them in ke70s...

2. Suspension and brakes: What bolt on brake upgrades are there? I will want to lower the car and make it handle like a go-kart, and wont be able to fabricate my own parts... are there places available that sell coilover kits and brake upgrades? AJPS?

3. Will s-series or t-series diffs bolt in? don't want to be blowing diffs...

Basically i know a bit about doing the conversions in ke70s, i just need to know if the same parts will bolt into the earlier cars...

Cheers guys

I'm no expert either, but heres the bits I know.

1.To my knowledge, no one in Australia is selling the engine mounts, other than custom ones. The only ones that I have seen are on Trademe for about $150. AE71 and AE86 crossmembers don't bolt in. Sump doesn't need mods.

2.Biggest bolt on brake upgrade is ke70 front brakes. About 212x12mm solid disk. Anything bigger will be expensive (Hopper) or custom.

3.There is no bolt in diff upgrade for a KE20. Anything worthwhile will need to be shortened and have mounts swapped over.

Having said all of this, google will really help as will the search key.

Cheers, Ian

unfortunately there aren't any bolt in diff upgrades for the ke20. i started a topic on this a few weeks back and came to the conclusion that you either have to go the expensive route of getting a housing shortened or use a t series housing and install flares (diff is wider and hence wheels protrude past gaurds). with the brakes i just went the hoppers stoppers kit. its huge (285 rotors with twin piston falcon calipers) and you only need 15's to clear it. bolts straight onto the struts. $1400 is a lot of money but writing off your car because you couldn't pull up in time will be slightly more expensive lol. can't help with the 4age questions as i have a ca18det in my car. just fits in and required a bit of ingenuity and customization ie: engine mounts gearbox cross member.

i got a 4age in mine. had it running and engineered for only nine months then took it off the road to get a turbo. should be back on the road soon.

stuff to think about:

remember with any EFI conversion you will need fuel pumps and/or surge tank.

stock or aftermarket ECU

tailshaft

brake booster (mine is remote so it doesn't foul on the inlet manifold)

battery relocation

extractors/headers + exhaust

brake upgrade

interior (do you want to keep it stock/original looking or do you want seats that actually grip and a nicer steering wheel, gauges etc)

Thanks heaps guys thats basically all i needed to know...

So basically to get a ge into the car i would need to source these engine mounts or make my own, sort out the brake booster and obvious exhaust, tailshaft issues.

Since the diffs are irreplaceable, whats peoples experience with a bit more power? Will a locked diff in a ke20 stand up to much abuse?

YKE 20T, i doubt id be needing those massive brakes, i know mates 70s pull up alright with standard brakes so in a ke20 they should be pretty good... So the brakes are easy enough. Thanks (i wouldnt want anything bigger than 14's on such a small car anyway)

Basically i want something that sounds and revs awesome and is good fun on those wet days in the hills :jamie:

Thanks for the help ill do some more skulking around and check some out

i got a 4age in mine. had it running and engineered for only nine months then took it off the road to get a turbo. should be back on the road soon.

stuff to think about:

remember with any EFI conversion you will need fuel pumps and/or surge tank.

stock or aftermarket ECU

tailshaft

brake booster (mine is remote so it doesn't foul on the inlet manifold)

I have a pair of webers that id be keen to bolt to the side, you reckon they would foul on the brake booster? And if not on the standard one, if i were to put a ke70 booster in there?