Racing...

brdalderson

Ok well I saw a car for sale realy cheap, it wasnt registered but in pretty good nick they guy just hadnt used it for a while, How hard is it to get to drive a car at Barbagello? Is it hard to get into racing? Is there somewhere else I could do it that may be easier for beginners, Or what about rally's?? Tarmac rallies or something, I would just like to start driving a bit more, have a bit of fun

Members dont see this ad

basics... a CAMS licence, a mounted fire extinguisher, I'm not sure about a first aid kit, but there handy to have..., non combustible clothing and a helmet.

More information can be found on the CAMS website.

Depending on what sort of racing you're planning there may be other minimum specs (for the car etc.,) but it's a start :nervous:

Lesley |blink|

Like 2TGEU said . . . money comes first, always need to know you can build the car instead of realizing part of the way through . . . its going to take you another 5 years.

You might like to start at small events first. Best thing to do is to join a club in your local area. Do things like practise days and motorkanas, see if your still keen to get into it. After that maybe some hillclimb events.

And like Lesley said, theres a bit you need to look into in the way you "build up" your car.

Rally might cost you more than just starting on the smaller events like motorkanas and hillclimbs. Just beware of that. I know a guy selling his WRX completely built for rally for around $100k if your interested :nervous:

Cheers Fusion

oooo $100K.... Its tempting but I don't think I could get that much for selling the Suzuki or rolla lol, I was more looking at starting basic, I know at barbagello they have an open class or something, but my main concern is will i need a roll cage, cause thats something I prolly couldnt do myself, But If its just rockin up and bolting a fire extinguisher to the boot, and havin a go then I'm up for it, I did read when I was in Sydney that they had an Excel Rally, where people bought excels ripped the interior out and put in a roll cage and raced, cause they are very light, cheap and easy to repair it sounded pretty good, but I havent found anything like that here unfortunatly.

If this kinda stuff was easier to get into there prolly wouldnt be so m uch street racing, off topic but hay...

Thanks for the fast replies to.

Edited by brdalderson

oooo $100K.... Its tempting but I don't think I could get that much for selling the Suzuki or rolla lol, I was more looking at starting basic, I know at barbagello they have an open class or something, but my main concern is will i need a roll cage, cause thats something I prolly couldnt do myself, But If its just rockin up and bolting a fire extinguisher to the boot, and havin a go then I'm up for it, I did read when I was in Sydney that they had an Excel Rally, where people bought excels ripped the interior out and put in a roll cage and raced, cause they are very light, cheap and easy to repair it sounded pretty good, but I havent found anything like that here unfortunatly.

If this kinda stuff was easier to get into there prolly wouldnt be so m uch street racing, off topic but hay...

Thanks for the fast replies to.

first decide what interests you the most. then look at clubs....all will welcome you but some clubs are populated by complete tossers that feel the club exists only for them so you may find that you change clubs till you feel comfortable. Ive competed in both rallying and super karts to champion levels but along the way tried a few different motorsport avenues including bikes and circuit racing. looked at offroad racing and speedway but found them not my speed. yuck dirt in the teeth,each to their own however.

motorkhanas are a great introduction to motorsport and your don't need to spend a pile of cash. infact they teach car control and slide control with translates to a safer road driver. bst part is you don't need a race car as the family hack will provide just as much fun and ive seen some talented drivers in family cars beat some very expensive race cars

get in touch with cams they will give you a list of the different types of moptorsport affiliated with them and the clubs

one small point..........Q how do you make a small fortune from motorsport?

answer.......start with a big one!!

from an old man that limps i wish you luck and sucess , please remember no one will remember a guy that crashes except if its spectactular enough to require a hospital visit. learn slowly and stay out of hospitals.

bm

Thanks very much for all the imput, I got exactly what I needed from this.

Basicly I need a half way desent car, then I need to get in contct with CAMS, and start goin to club days and sein what happens, Thanks again all, now you can say you knew me before I was a V8 Supercar Driver..... :dance:

Regards,

Brodie