rwd-starlet

Members dont see this ad

None of them are CDI.

The Programmable High Energy Ignition System is basically just that.... Its an upgrade of the Universal High Energy Ignition kit.

From what i can work out from reading the articles, the Ignition Coil Driver isn't needed.

I was thinking of this kit myself at one stage (still do, one step from EFI) but i think you'd get better benefit in aiming straight for the MegaSquirt.

Hi,

The high energy kit is good cheap and works well and noticable improvement.

BUT

Ill have to dig up the kit number but there is an old kit might even be discontinued Jaycar and Dick smith in Australia had them. They were MSD CDI units DIY build.

I got half way through mine then stopped as well no time..lol so can't rate it yet but I think it packed 10 sparks per cylinder below 3000RPM if I remember correctly.

If I can find the kit number try for it

If not go high energy kit BUT if it was me and I didnt get the MSD CDI kit id get dizzy regraphed to the cam you get and go for a GT40 coil not to bad cheap etc.

Cameron

I have been running a "Silicon Chip" High Energy Ignition kit on my ke15 for the last 5 years or so. My kit came from Dick Smith, but was the same as sold by Jaycar. They are an awesome upgrade for a points dizzy. The current set of points has been in the car since I installed the HEI kit. It eliminates the contact wear in points completely, you just have to check the gap every year or so to account for rubbing block wear.

The newer programmable kit with the hand controller would be a great for fine tuning your ignition curve.

So basically the Programmible High Energy Ignition is a good buy, it does not need the Ignition Coil Driver, and I wont need to recurve my dizzy? How exactly do you program it?

Hand controller

Towe001, I think megasquirt would be abit overkill wouldnt it? I'm still running carbs.

And thats why i'm in two minds about it. More or less one more step and you've got EFI.... Not including wiring, manifolds etc.

Also what is the differance between CDI and HEI if none of them are CDI? All I really want is big, reliable sparks and possiably an alternative to recurving my dizzy if it will work out better or cheaper to do it that way.

CDI - Capacitor Discharge Ignition, which gives not just one big fat spark but multiple sparks. The number of and intensity of the sparks depends on the speed of the motor.

HEI - High Energy Ignition, basically it steps up the voltage for the coil (read basic - there is more to it) for a single big fat spark.

Felix, Is the kit you were running the same as the Universal High Energy Ignition?

Pretty much. The Universal High Energy Ignition kit is the next upgraded version of the one I am running. My kit uses transistors to drive the coil. The newer kit probably uses FET's.

So basically the Programmible High Energy Ignition is a good buy, it does not need the Ignition Coil Driver, and I wont need to recurve my dizzy? How exactly do you program it?

In a carbed car you will need the Ignition Coil Driver (which fires the coil) as it is used in standalone mode. If you fitted it to an EFI car it alters the signal to the existing ignitor/s which still drives the coil/coil packs (some EFI cars coils have built in ignitors). Either way, you have to buy a separate hand controller kit (KC5386) which plugs into the Programmible High Energy Ignition unit, to allow programming. And yes, the ignition curve becomes totally adjustable, so you don't need to worry about dizzy regraphing.

It uses a MAP sensor so the timing maps are load dependent, better than a straight dizzy recurve. You can add on an optional Knock Sensor kit, which would be great to take into account differences in fuel quality and temp... Also be good for carbed forced induction.

Edited by Felix

Do you need the Ignition Coil Driver for the Universal High Energy Ignition?

No.

What is a MAP sensor and do I need to buy one?

Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor. Basically it measures the engine vacuum or load placed on the motor. You probably could go without one, but you would get much better performance if you used one.

what options are there for getting rid of the points - any hall effect or similair ignition kits out there?

You could always run an electronic dizzy. Alternatively if you have a Bosch points dizzy, have a look around at the wreckers at other cars with Bosch based electronic dizzys. You may be able to mix and match bits to convert one to electronic. From what I remember sigmas look like they might be of use.