Tuned {4 Into 1} 3k Extractors

freakmotor

HI All! I'm a new member and I live in Townsville, North Queensland. We don't have as many spots to shop up here, and I'm chasing a set of 4 into 1 extractors for my 3k as the other extractors foul on the manifold for the side drafts when I test fitted it. Plus I figure 4 into 1 will have more top end, which is what I want.

post-5573-1208245246_thumb.jpg

post-5573-1208245277_thumb.jpg

post-5573-1208245294_thumb.jpg

Edited by freakmotor

Members dont see this ad

This is a common problem with the aftermarket intake manifolds,

i'm assuming its fouling/touching where the bolts go for the manifold/extractors?

if its a redline, and never been on a car before, there is a lot of cutting, machining to be done,

have you checked the manifold face thickness (where it bolts to the head) as opposed to your extractor face thickness?

you should be able to get away with the manifold you already have, sounds like you just need to persist with the manifold to get it right,

if possible it would be great if you could post up some pics so we can all get a better idea on what's going on,

cheers phatke30!

Edited by phatke30

This is a common problem with the aftermarket intake manifolds,

i'm assuming its fouling/touching where the bolts go for the manifold/extractors?

if its a redline, and never been on a car before, there is a lot of cutting, machining to be done,

have you checked the manifold face thickness (where it bolts to the head) as opposed to your extractor face thickness?

you should be able to get away with the manifold you already have, sounds like you just need to persist with the manifold to get it right,

if possible it would be great if you could post up some pics so we can all get a better idea on what's going on,

cheers phatke30!

Hey, Thanks for your prompt reply. I should have sent some pics, hey. I'll do that as soon as I get home from work. The issue isn't the bolt area on the side of the head, it's the manifold fouling on the primary from the back exhaust pipe {arcing forward and fouling on the back end of the manifold.}Yes, pics would speak a thousand words at this point, wouldn't they...... So the manifold is a redline for twin webbers/dellortos, I have the twin dellortos and I don't want to have to "Massage" the back pipe as it will not help flow, plus there is the heat issue. I figure that a tuned system, ie 4into 1 will go down off the head more vertically, rather than curving/arcing back.... Perhaps if anyone has a pic of some good 4 into 1 headers, also if anyone knows of any variations in primary size, the bigger the better. I have recently bought a parts engine on ebay from Victoria, it has Norton 850 forgies, a ported head and a rather big cam. I know torque will suffer, and after reading some very helpful stuff from SuperJamie about k series motors I am working through getting a really revvy k series into my ke-20.

Hey mate,

I have just scored a set of 4-1 Perry/HM Header extractors. I will get you a picture of them this friday. Unfortunately, I think you will find there is still quite a length before they bend downwards.

Its a fairly common problem, you might need to cut and shut the headers to get it to work even.

Tom.

Hey mate,

I have just scored a set of 4-1 Perry/HM Header extractors. I will get you a picture of them this friday. Unfortunately, I think you will find there is still quite a length before they bend downwards.

Its a fairly common problem, you might need to cut and shut the headers to get it to work even.

Tom.

Hey Tom!

So Perry make some then, eh? Would really like to see pics, thanks.

Yeh, Its about that I reckon, just not sure.

Looking at your pictures though, I do reckon mine don't kick upwards as much as the ones you have there. I haven't fitted them yet though, so I'm not sure.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. The pipe on #4 actually goes UP, as well as in toward the intake, so even if I got it to clear by "just enough", I think that heat soak would be an issue. I know it voids warranties etc, as well as severely reduces the lifespan of the pipes, but I want to go with wrapping them. Hopefully this will keep the intake/dellortos as cool as possible. On another issue, I was searching last night for anything on k series to t series bellhousings. We were silly, cos when we got this motor, the guy had a bellhousing, but we didn't get it and now it's gone. I heard that they were a pretty rare, but still factory option. W series boxes don't interest me, weight and size and all of that, but would like to hear about these type of adaptions........esp as have heard that there is a possibility that it means the engine position changes from slant to upright, giving more room for intake/filters. It's pretty tight near the left strut tower, as plenty of people would already know.