ancullen

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Power, Power, Power, that's all you care about isn't it Andy, doesn't matter if it idles like crap and doesn't drive in a straight line, as long as you have a 4age that has 200+ hp, its all good...

So, as some may know, my FX will be coming in about a month's time from our neighbouring island, and will unfortunately have a 'bluetop' 4AGE. But body and condition is overrated, could do with a respray, but overall, so happy that i'm finally getting one.

Still contemplating to rebuild the current 4AGE or save for a smallport, remembering that i'm sticking with N/A it, because Forced Induction is for girls... :y:

Here's a sneek peek...

post-528-1233470560_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sirolla
misunderstandings

Daven - you will NOT get 200kW (or more) from a 4A-GE. Remember Formula Atlantics 'only' make 240hp at the flywheel, which is 180kW. You will not be able to afford to build an engine of this spec ($30-40,000), plus it wouldn't be streetable, as you'd have to do a rebuild every 1,000km or so. 200hp is definitely achievable, as much as 220hp is believeable. Aim for 120kW at the wheels and be happy if you get it. BTW, to get this power figure, according to Billzilla, you'll need the bigport head. I've researched where big valves can be bought, and have found the biggest ones possible. You'll need quad throttles to get nice even flow to each cylinder, and some very good engine management.

Want more than 200kW at the engine? Buy a 3S-GE. A 2ZZ-GE would also be able to do it. Personally, if all out NA power was the goal, I'd swap out the 4A-GE and drop in a 1ZZ/2ZZ hybrid engine. There's plenty of parts available for them thanks to their use in Celica's, MR2's, Scions, and Lotus's. The ZZ-series has an alloy block, so it's lighter than an A-series engine, but with close to the capacity of the S-series.

Want to keep the 4A, make more than 200kW, and keep your throttle response? Supercharge it! Hell, just get some good pistons and rods and save your money for a twinscrew supercharger! That would be super awesome!!!

Adam, wasn't saying that i wanted 200kw.....arghghh....There, original post edited.

I know the limitations 4AGEs have as i have done my bit of research and i'm probably only aiming for about 110kw, as i'm not sure how much power the current 4age has, but 150hp is good enough for me, almost doubled to what i have in the current rolla, and if i want more, then an engine swap down the track.

But thanks Adam for the info, been going through AE86DC as i can scab more info on bluetops, might also try the ae82 owners forum as well...

Adam, wasn't saying that i wanted 200kw.....arghghh....There, original post edited.

I know the limitations 4AGEs have as i have done my bit of research and i'm probably only aiming for about 110kw, as i'm not sure how much power the current 4age has, but 150hp is good enough for me, almost doubled to what i have in the current rolla, and if i want more, then an engine swap down the track.

But thanks Adam for the info, been going through AE86DC as i can scab more info on bluetops, might also try the ae82 owners forum as well...

I was confused, as I did think you knew your shit a bit better than that. The stock motor should have 115hp - I think it was only the JDM AE86's that had the 130hp bigport motor. Never known what the difference in spec was though. Given the engine is twenty years old, you will be making a bit less power than stock. If it were me, I'd plan the upgrades in stages. Eg. tuned extractors and exhaust can be used with stock motor, even though they're optimised for bigger power and flow, higher compression pistons can be used even though you don't yet have the cams to fully take advantage of them, etc.

I'm lookin 4 a 32/36 weber for my zook so it can once again become reliable, anyone got one andy? daven wana part urs off the rolla? adam can u check what the one u hav is?

You can check it yourself if you give me a hand to move the TA22 into my storage shed sometime.

I was confused, as I did think you knew your shit a bit better than that. The stock motor should have 115hp - I think it was only the JDM AE86's that had the 130hp bigport motor. Never known what the difference in spec was though. Given the engine is twenty years old, you will be making a bit less power than stock. If it were me, I'd plan the upgrades in stages. Eg. tuned extractors and exhaust can be used with stock motor, even though they're optimised for bigger power and flow, higher compression pistons can be used even though you don't yet have the cams to fully take advantage of them, etc.

You can check it yourself if you give me a hand to move the TA22 into my storage shed sometime.

*bigport guru enters the room*

hrmm the only difference in the two is the tune on the ECU... seriously JDM ECu is the win, but youll ned premium unleaded on hot days...

as for upgrades... id be looking more into rebuilding such a old motor before i even considered upgrading anything for extra power hey. but thats just my take on it, better off rebuilding it now while its still going than crying at your machining bill cause youve put a ricer exhaust on it and flogged it till it died LOL...

BTW i know ive said it before but FUUUUUCK nice ride man :cool: love the FX's tho id be keeping the AE92 and driving that to work, no way id leave it anywhere, imagine the price if someone crashes into it or breaks a window....

birdie whatd i tells you before? do you no listen??? one jetted for adams bigger motors is going to make a zook 1.3l run like a pig bro, go get a new one hey otherwise youll be kicking yourself when the bill for buying it, then rejetting it and rebuilding it to suit your zook becomes more than a brand new one would have been...

ahahahahah if i wanted power i deffinatly wouldent have gotten into rollas :cool:

my car pretty mutch dosn't drive straight (wheel alightment like this /----/ ) and dosnt break at all atm as one of the calipers is off

and i wish it had 200hp :2thumbs:

that fxgt loook sweeeetttttt wack a twin turbs no

what extra did they have, from a normal rolla's

go wreckers and get a nother zook carbie, do what luke said

i carnt beleave they upgrade to a 4k engine they were a downgrade when they came out

ahahahahah if i wanted power i deffinatly wouldent have gotten into rollas :cool:

my car pretty mutch dosn't drive straight (wheel alightment like this /----/ ) and dosnt break at all atm as one of the calipers is off

and i wish it had 200hp :2thumbs:

that fxgt loook sweeeetttttt wack a twin turbs no

what extra did they have, from a normal rolla's

go wreckers and get a nother zook carbie, do what luke said

i carnt beleave they upgrade to a 4k engine they were a downgrade when they came out

Since the one i'm getting is an '88 model, its pretty much the same specs as the AE92 SX, but i got one with a Bluetop 4AGE, power windows, power steering (YES!!!) and some had a factory sunroof.

Birdie, if you want it, you can remove it yourself and put the old one back for me and redo all the vacuum hose lines that Hi-tech cut off the old one...But otherwise, its staying on the 6A.

Are you a complete dope Andrew? The FX-GT didn't have more than a normal Corolla - it had less! Three door FTW! LOL!!!

hahahaaha,

The only thing it'll have more on it is the price tag i'm getting it for (have a guess if you want)

Anyone think that HIDs are rice?

and Adam, $800 worth it for 15x7 rewinds, comes with tyres, in a 4x100 stud pattern. gunmetal with a polished lip, for the fx?

Edited by Sirolla