Tims Sr20de Ae70 Hardtop Project

simsey

• 2 weeks later...
Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scored 1987 aw11 mr2 this weekend for cheap, with a rather healthy red and black top 2nd gen 4age in her. So the 3au is getting the boot a bit earlier than I expected, and in with the 4age!!

Bonus! It's got a TRD nardi steering wheel too!!

Another thing is, I'm completely buzzing about this cruise me and my mate Alex organised for Sunday just been...

Video Clicky Clicky \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

The photos are in my photobucket album, heaps of pics.. biggrin.gif

http://s604.photobucket.com/albums/tt129/simsey_2009/

Enjoy!

Edited by simsey

Big thanks to my mate Farz, he machined up my spacers for my keepers, done an immaculate job of them,:y: f@%kin' stoked!

So now I can finally test fit my suspension setup properly and get measurements for the shocks I've got lined up, a set of adjustable damper D2 racing shocks :)

myadjustablecoiloverswsprings.jpg

myadjustablecoiloverstestfit.jpg

Picking this AW11 MR2 up on saturday.. :y:

Go the 4age! :y:

Do regular KE70/AE71 tail lights fit in this car? I've never seen the tail lights like the ones you have. They look a little out

of place. It's probably because I've only seen two types.

Hell yea gotta love the 4ages!!

I'm not sure on the lights, I've seen quite a few TE71 & TE72s with these tail lights.. I friggin' love them!! Much different to the flat plain type KE70 ones, I actually prefer these ones.

This is how it sits on the lowest setting, it's not quite enough and I want it lower, so I'm getting the struts shortened below the threaded sleeves to move the sleeve down more (take a section out of the strut tube and weld it back together).

frontatlowestsetting.jpg

Should be a good height to adjust from once I've had my struts shortened and got my new tyres. The tyre has 195-65-14s in this photo...

frontatlowestsettingwzona195-65-14.jpg

frontatlowestsettingwzona195-65-14a.jpg

A new glamour shot..

newglamourshot.jpg

Edited by simsey

Went and bought some Autosol after work today and got stuck into polishing my wheels and bumpers, probably the best $9.45 I've invested in the project!!

I wish I had taken a before shot of the bumper because the transformation was insane!!! It had alot of surface rust before.. Which is now no longer, they came up PRIMO!!

rearbumperandwheelpolishedwithautos.jpg

Fitting up the front grill & lights, gotta hunt around for the headlight surrounds..

I know they're somewhere in my parts collection.. :P

fittingfrontgrillandlights.jpg

Fitted rear bumper (note wrong endcaps.. :P )

Finally got around to putting fuel cap cover on, although not in this pic lol.

backbumperfitted.jpg

Got the 4age out of the MR2 this weekend

glenandstef.jpg

What a bitch of a job. First time I've ever dropped an engine out the bottom of a car before.

dropping4ageoutthebottomofmr2.jpg

TADAAA!!

engineoutgearboxoff.jpg

Hmmmmmm... bit of a hole where the heart once was.. Needs a re-power

bigholewhereenginewas.jpg

SIMSEY POWER

simseyrepower.jpg

I'm hoping to get the 3a-u BACK OUT of the AE70 again next weekend, maybe get the 4age IN also, If I get time..

I get my D2 rear shocks this week too.

Although I want to drive it for a while naturally aspirated while I save for turbo stuff, I'm thinking of getting a fully custom intake plenum made up for it, getting it ready for a turbo setup later in the year, instead of doing a cut / shut job on my stock intake. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Edited by simsey

Took the A/C, MR extractors, rear water sensor housing all off the block. Getting some 4A-GE RWD extractors made up by magoo muffler, bought a RWD water sensor housing from a mate up north island. Didn't get the time to get the 3A-U out last weekend so I'm hoping to get it done this weekend.

Still to be done..

-Chop and weld left front headlight mounting bracket off other guard, as the one I have had paneled and painted is from a 1980 AE70 with a different headlight and grill setup, therefore has the wrong headlight mounts.

-Fit MR2 seats

-Fit interior bits and plastic / finish assembling dash

-New brake pads

-New 6kg rear King springs

-Install new D2 rear shocks

-Install new D2 front shock inserts

-Shorten front struts 50 - 60mm

-4A-GE 200mm clutch

-4A-GE 200mm flywheel

-Bigger main fuel line

-Bigger external fuel pump

-Accelerator Cable

-Clutch Cable

-MR Intake plenum cut and shut

-Install Spigot bearing

-RWD water sensor housing

-Extractors (getting made up)

-Waterpump (swapped from 3A-U)

-Thermostat housing (swapped from 3A-U)

-Engine mounts (swapped from 3A-U)

-Gearbox braces (swapped from 3A-U)

-Water pipes (swapped from 3A-U)

-Power steering pump (swapped from 3A-U)

-Replace front crank seal and whatever other seals need doing

-Have 4A-GE wired up

-LVVTA Certification (engineered)

-Warrant of fitness and Registration

There's probably more but I'll add that later.

Just dropped the struts off to have the adjustable platform moved down 60mm on the strut body, and having the strut body shortened 40mm. Also while I was out, picked up an ACL 4A-GE conversion gasket set from Partmaster for $50 8/

Turns out the D2 shocks I was going to be buying off a mate for my front setup, are too long for what my strut body is going to be. Enquired about some new shocks, and looks like I'm getting some brand new D2 front inserts valved for 450lb - $500.

Edited by simsey