Celica Problem

ke30nuts

Members dont see this ad

here you go this iswhat it doing,

I have a 1989 Celica (auto) that has had a major problem for the last 6 months. We have tried everything so thought we would give this a try as a last resort!

Basically the sympton is whenever you try to accelerate, take off etc, there is a delay - around 5- 10 seconds to gain any speed at all, ! It also coughs and splutters when doing so.

It basically feels like a dead spot, somewhere between 1000 and 2500 revs.

So far, we have changed, gearbox, ECU, wiring loom, TVIS, Injector Manifold, throtle body, Airflow meter, Fuel pump, fuel filter, distributor, ignition leads and spark plugs.

Please let us know if anyone has ever had this problem or can offer any advice as to what to do next!

Thanks!

ERG system could always be on, check the valve clearances, could also be a vacuum leak somewhere as well.

only other question i would ask, did you buy the car like this or is it a problem that has just started???

has someone changed the timing belt as it sounds like it could be out.

Mate has the same delay in his Soarer dude. I think it may just be the engine and gearbox. Though I hope to be prooved wrong as I really don't like delay either..

He goes to stomp the accelerator and you wait a few seconds then we finally take off. It's stupid :bash:

I think it may just be the engine and gearbox. Though I hope to be prooved wrong as I really don't like delay either..

That's a pretty broad diagnosis do you think? lol. It's like walking into the doctors and saying "my toe hurts" and the doctor turns around and says "well I think it's a problem with everything below the waist".

Sounds like a metering issue to me but toyota EFI is not my strong point. Changed the oxygen sensor? They can sometimes throw up some whacky problems and confuse the hell out of the ECU but other cars will quite happily drive around with a dead O2 sensor (albeit with rubbish fuel economy). Vacuum leaks is the other big culprit of weird engine behavior and like TRD said the emissions gear would be worth looking at.

• 2 months later...