Welder?

stanza

I was deliberating about buying a tig too, but when I noticed all the rodders used mig - then I realised trying to jam myself upside down sideways in an awkward spot with a torch and a filler rod and no hand to hold onto stuff..... yep, get a mig.

I have an article on welding aluminium with an oxy around the place too - interesting, been meaning to try it out...

Members dont see this ad

make sure you do some kind of course in welding before you try or it will turn out shite, I'm a second year sheet metal apprentice, and my dads my tafe teacher and tradesman who i work for, tig is easy if you can do silver braising and other braising, arc is super easy and good, probs wouldnt do it on a car unless last resort migs good and tig if you want it super perfect quiality strong job.

just do a tafe course cause all the overheads assosiated with a welder are way to much, remeber most good welders require 3 phase power as well, then gas and all the other shit. arc it or use one at tafe.

Travis

Yay Sheety's rock. Tig welding is great fun. It's similar to oxy welding. I think a small mig would be okayish, but yeah, some training and much practice is a good idea. You can't just weld without training, and people who say they can, can't. What about vertical up, and overhead welding?

Slightly off topic and I apologise.

Also second year. Getting $10.10 an hour. But I'm also 21 LOL. I'm pretty happy though, because it appears as if everything I've learnt about metal fab will help me restore a Rolla. I can't wait until I have my own. Being able to Tig and Mig will deffinately help, that's for sure

• 1 year later...

Sorry for dragging up an old thread -

Tradetools here in Brisbane have advertised a 'Renegade' brand 250amp single phase, 35% duty cycle, with separate wire feeder for $1598. was in last Sundays paper.

My question is - does anyone on here have one of these?

Any feedback on this unit would be appreciated -- both good and bad please.

Only want to buy 1 welder.

Will be used for panel work and thicker steel - (probably build a trailer too)

If I remember correctly, someone on here worked for one of the tool mobs - but that was a couple of years ago - are you still on here ? ..

cheers

frosty

Edited by frosty

I got my Mig welder (30 amp to 150 amp) for free!!!!!! My dads work was doing a workshop tools upgrade and they were literally throwing away these tools. My dad managed to save an arc and mig welder (with gas) and as an added bonus we scored a welding bench with gas pipe accessories for oxy welding. This thing takes four people to move. All of it is at my house now as dad didn't need it anymore woot!!

Frosty I can't comment on that particular welder, but overall I'd say have a think about what you would use it for.

I think welding panels would be the most common job anyone on here really does on their cars, and very rarely would they weld a diff.

Having a panel welder means you can still make engine and gearbox mounts up and tack them together, then just take them down to a welding shop.

have you thought about brazing with fencing wire? My wifes uncle in brisbane does up old dodges and all he uses is fencing wire and lpg. It comes up pretty schmick, the trick is as soon as you get the flow happening then work in a quick circular motion. It might be worth a try just get some scrap metal first to get used to the heat (hope it works) good luck

R&C

With a hammer, dolly, oxy and filler rod you can get a panel overrated and is the best way to work panels, BUT... it only works on old cars.

In the late 70's Toyota and Chrysler begun using high carbon steel.

High carbon steel is stronger than standard steel therefore the panels can be made using thinner sheet, thus making them lighter.

Problem is high carbon is a dog to work with as it warps at the thought of heat, it hard limits too quick and due to the high carbon content , rusts like a mo fo. hence why its is hard to find good, rust free rollas.

:)