4k Head On A 3k Motor

KE30Coupe

I have just entered the world of Corolla ownership with a KE30 coupe. This will be the first of many questions that I will probably ask as I commence the task of getting the little lady running before starting on giving her a extreme makeover.

Question 1

The guy I bought it off told me it was running a 4K head on the 3K motor. Is there any way to confirm that the head I have on the motor is a 4K head and if it is should I switch it back to a 3K head or buy a 4K block i.e which is cheaper?

Members dont see this ad

There's a heap of information in here about 3K's.

Use search, or Google.com, and you'll turn up even more.

For a start.....

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/index.php?showtopic=2129

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/index.php?showtopic=1982

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/index.php?showtopic=1795

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/index.php?showtopic=2333

I know there's more about....

OK then so from what you are telling me and correct me if I'm wrong is that I should either invest in a 4K block or a 3K head because the comprssion will be low.

Or get a supercharger.......hmmmm now thats a thought :dance:

OK I'll have a look around and see if I can find either...or maybe both and build up another engine for the future.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

I'm Back :dance:

I have been ringing around Melbourne looking for a wrecker that stocks anything k related without much luck. One bloke suggested I just shave the 4k head down and that will solve the compression issue rather than getting a 3k head.

I am thinking that this may be a temporary solution as I have decided to get a 5k at some point however finances dictate that it will be a fair way off.

So will this be a workable solution rather than continuing my search for a 3k head?

Thanks in advance :D

5k head on 3k gives you about 15:1 compression. providing the starter motor could actually start it (because you couldn't drop start it), and you didn't put a spark plug through a piston, your motor would absolutely FLY for about half an hour then you'd destroy the bottom end, or at least the head gasket

If you are interested we could possibly source you a 3K head and have it freighted to you.

Bus freight is cheap

What kind of 3K head were you after?

I would like a 3k head that has been ported & polished with a nicely ground cam, reseated valves & heavy duty springs...Oh and just a slight shave would be good as well :D

Or any 3k head that I can pretty much just bolt straight on without having to muck around with too much. I will finally have 'lalola' running this weekend if all goes according to plan (which it rarely does) however if it is going to be running like a tractor with the 4k head then it wont be much fun to punt around in.

As I said the master plan is an upgraded engine eventually however I want to get the best out of what I've got until that time arrives so any 3k head will do for now.

Just out of interest how much is not much for freight?

Your in Melbourne - I can help.

Peter Robinson in Clayton is a toyota guru and has heaps of parts. 3k head shouldn't be a problem. His phone no. is 95441162. Tell him Darren with the yellow rolla sent you.

Also try Centre Road wreckers in Centre Road, Springvale. (03) 9547 7377

I was there a few weeks ago, and they had a few corolla's there with 3k's.

As for the port job etc. Try "Head Stud Development" in Moorabbin.

(03) 9553 2517. Or drop into 31 Capella Crs Moorabbin 3189. BTW - the headwork will cost about $800 (a bit pricy, but he does the works to it)

The head can always be transferred to your 5k in future.

Hope this Helps

Thats if you in S/E Melbourne.

Edited by kangaroosa

As for the port job etc.  Try "Head Stud Development" in Moorabbin.

(03) 9553 2517.  Or drop into 31 Capella Crs Moorabbin 3189.  BTW - the headwork will cost about $800 (a bit pricy, but he does the works to it)

The works =

Race port, new and Larger Valves, new valve guides, double valve springs and retainers, (if you get the bigport head done - he removes the welsch plug and welds in a threaded section so your able to screw in a suitable fitting to accept the heater hose). Included in this price is your general machining (decking it, acid dip, machine the tappet surfaces and crack test).

Finally he does flow test it. Both before he starts the work, and the fully machined head.

post-13-1113306294.jpg

Edited by kangaroosa