Timing Chain/ Valve Clearances

Rollasrus

Gday guys.

Finallly got my newer 4kc into my suzuki sierra, runs well.

One prob, its a little rattly, so must be the timing chain and/ or tappets.

Also how common are they for failing in the meantime, as common as timing belts??

What is involved in changing the timing chain without throwing all the timing out etc.

And also whats the procedure in adjusting the valve clearances, I did it once many years ago on a daihatsu Pyzar and stuffed it badly. I think you gotta get each cylender up to top dead centre before doing the valves for that one

Any help guys, mainly for the timing chain bit

Edited by Rollasrus

Members dont see this ad

Never really heard of a K timing chain fail. Remember most timing belts are rubber/canvis, so they're a bit easier to snap.

You obviously need a new chain, but also get yourself a new tentioner and timing gasket set (maybe $80 for the lot).

Take a little care pulling it off and you'll notice there is some dots on the crank, cam, gears etc that'll all line up.

Yeah always do your valve clearances at TDC on EACH POT, not just TDC for #1. I always just wind it over with a 19mm, watch the intake valve open and close and give it anothe 1/4 turn or so.

Valve clearances are 8 thou - inlet, and 12 thou - ex, while the engine is hot. :P

Gday guys.

Finallly got my newer 4kc into my suzuki sierra, runs well.

One prob, its a little rattly, so must be the timing chain and/ or tappets.

Also how common are they for failing in the meantime, as common as timing belts??

What is involved in changing the timing chain without throwing all the timing out etc.

And also whats the procedure in adjusting the valve clearances, I did it once many years ago on a daihatsu Pyzar and stuffed it badly. I think you gotta get each cylender up to top dead centre before doing the valves for that one

Any help guys, mainly for the timing chain bit

sounds to me like you need to get yourself an engine manual!

can get one from supercheap/repco for like 30$, explains everything with nice pretty pictures.

ive never heard of a timing chain fail, my mums old corona had a rattly chain, and it would never tension tight enough (18Rc, apparently its an inherit thing?). but the timing chain on a 4k is heaps shorter and shouldn't have any problems.

rattly in my 4k means i need to have a crack at adjusting the tappets again.

in short you gota get each piston up to TDC by watching the valves "rock" (ie when exhaust is closing, and inlet is opening) the one of the OTHER cylinders will have "loose" valves (you will hear clearance if you pull valves up and down) and this is when you adjust these ones to the specific tolerances.

its a bit annoying and tedious, as i generally miss the TDC at least once, and have to spin the engine all the way round again:P but you get the hang of it! just keep track of the ones you have adjusted, and DONOT undo anything unless you are sure its the proper time to adjust, or you could have all sorts of dramas....mmm backfire up the carby....

Many, many thanks guys,

Have not had much luck though, blew my head gasket on the weekend as well.

Luckily I have 2 spare 4k motors at home so I am gonna pull the head off one of them, send it away to get new valve seals etc and machined (maybe shaved to increase compression) and put it in.

I have read through other threads and the head swap seems pretty easy to do, just would like to know the torque settings for the head bolts.

Also would it be very easy to do the valve clearances on the head when it is off the car as they would be all closed?

So now i gotta swap heads/head gasket and do the timing chain.

Also does the sump have to come off the get full access to do the timing chain?

you'll need to take the bolts out of the sump that connect it to the timing cover. You could probably do it with the sump on, but it would be easier without. Even if you just unbolt it and drop it down should be fine.

Timing chains definitely break, but they make a hell of a lot of noise in the leadup to it.

18rc's are possibly the noisiest engine in the world for timing chain rattle.....

Just loosen all of the sump bolts and drop it down a little bit. Double nut and remove the 4 studs through the sump into the timing cover and reasemble with small 10mm bolts to make life easier in future.

You cannot do valve clearnaces with the head off. :( I'll let you work out why when you do get around to doing them. :P

Just loosen all of the sump bolts and drop it down a little bit. Double nut and remove the 4 studs through the sump into the timing cover and reasemble with small 10mm bolts to make life easier in future.

You cannot do valve clearnaces with the head off. :dance: I'll let you work out why when you do get around to doing them. :lol:

because the cam is in the block?

omg :yes: