Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

4k Running Troubles

Featured Replies

  • Author

Well, I put a timing light on it today.

 

My light dosent have a directional arrow for the pickup that goes on no1 lead. Tried it both ways and no difference.

 

Set timing to 6deg BTDC with the vacum advance un-plugged and motor at roughly 800rpm.

 

Then I plugged the vacum advance on and the idle turned to shit, but still reved ok.

 

Upon having a look with the timing light the timing went to over 20deg advanced with the vacum hose connected.

 

Mechanical advance works fine, car runs smooth and seems to rev nicely but I'm lost on the vac advance.

 

I'm unsure why it runs the way it does with the advance connected.

 

Thanks again guys.

 

Todd.

  • Replies 31
  • Views 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL this may sound dodgy but my mate rian did this the other day...

his stock 4k had a shit idle but reved ok like you said... we played around with the vacuum hoses for a while and no difference... So he pulled them all off and then reattached them randomly to each other making sure there was no vacuum leaks and no left over places to put vacuum hoses.. Ha Ha Ha the car now purs like a kitten and revs like it just rolled out of the showroom

  • Author

Alittle off topic whats the screw located opposite the passenger side strut tower?

 

Its at the bottom of the carb (no its not idle screw)

 

Would i be correct to say its mixture?

Hi, could be that the vacuum advance diaphram has worn out. Or that the dizzzy is a tooth out, that is if you pulled it out and it didn't go back in the right spot. :laff:

  • Author

KE20ROLLA: Thanks for your reply man, as i mentioned in previous post, when I hook up vacum advance it deffinatley advances. The timing mark goes over 20deg BTDC.

 

How would I check that the dizzy is in the right place? I assumed that it wouldnt matter as the body of the dizzy rotates 360deg.

 

TAZ_RXThanks also for your reply. I noticed when I set the timing right and connected the vac advance the idle turned to crap. Thought that now the timing is advanced it might need more fuel. I unscrewed the screw a few turns and noticed an improvement. Do you know how many turns out from seated the screw needs to be. I think I counted like 7 turns out from seating the screw all the way in.

Hi, does the timing go to 20 deg BTDC when idling with the vacuum connected or only when you rev it. Where abouts have you got the line going to. To check to see if the dizzy is in the right spot, take off the dizzy cap and line up the timing mark on the crankshaft pulley with TDC. The rotor should be facing either No 1 or 4 ignition lead turn the motor around until the timing mark lines up with TDC and the rotor is facing No 1 lead on the cap when the cap is installed. Remove dizzy cap and rotor and the points should be open and the rubbing block on the points should be touching the high part of the dizzy cam. :laff:

Also the vacuum advance mechanism should usually face straight front to rear in line with the engine.

If the rotor doesn't line up, then leave the timing marks lined up on TDC on No 1 and remove the dizzy and turn the rotor and place the dizzy back in until the rotor faces number 1 lead and the points are open and the rubbing block is on the high came off the lobe.

Also with the mixture, turn the screw in until it just seats and the turn it out about 2 1/2 turns. mixture is best checked when the vehicle is up to temperature. :doh:

  • Author

No worries, by the sounds of it Ive got the thing running mega rich.

 

Vac lines are connected as per diagram that I found on this site.

 

Vac advance advences when on idle, its deffinatley working. I thought it may be working alittle too much. The way the mechanism is facing the vac hose goes in from the front of the car (if you know what I'm saying and Ive read what you said correctly this means its in the right spot)

 

I'm still unsure on the points gap no one has told me what they should be set at.

 

Starting to think if its not ignition it might be carby related.

 

Thanks again.

  • Author

Quick question. Accordind to the diagram I'm sposed to have 2 things T peiced off the line to the dizzy. A VCV and a VSV.

Does any1 know what they do or if I need them.

 

Thanks.

I'm still unsure on the points gap no one has told me what they should be set at.

 

Check the first page...lol

points gap should be 0.45mm

  • Author

lol :lolcry: I set the plugs to .45mm

 

Ill reset the points and now I ask what the plug gap should be set at? :wink:

lol!

That sounds like something I would do...

Plug gap should be 0.8mm

  • Author

lol no worries. Ill do it tomorrow and get back to you.

 

Anyways what about those two valves?

 

Thanks again.

 

Todd.

  • Author

Hey all,

 

Got all the gaps sorted. Cars runnign better.

 

I still am unsure about the 2 valves that are sposed to be T-peiced off the vacum line to the dizzy.

 

The car seems to advance the timing too far on idle, Ive set the timing almost back to 0deg.

 

Thanks again.

 

Todd.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.