4a-c Power Struggle

5krolla

Hey guys, my old man's having a bit of trouble with his stock '91 Corolla Seca. The engine i'm pretty sure is a 4A-C, it's a transverse twin cam carburetted engine. It's done roughly 270,000km's and it's auto. The small problems have only recently increased in severity, they are:

* Won't kick into gear at 80km/h unless you let go of the accelerator

* When i'm travelling at 75-80km/h and accelerate hard it "kicks back" a gear but struggles to get past 80km/h

* When the engine's just been started, it wont allow use of the overdrive function (despite driving over 80km/h)

* When the engine's just been started and transmission moved into Drive, it will roll about for 4-5 seconds (in any gravity-driven direction) before the gear engages and you start to idle-roll forward

* Gear changes arent very smooth (around 50-60km/h)

* Real lack of power

Just wondering if anyone's had the same problems before or know what the problem might be/where to get information about it. I'm assuming that it has something to do with a faulty oil pump. Does anyone know what symptoms are present with a faulty oil pump?

Any help would be appreciated... Cheers - Josh.

Members dont see this ad
If its twin cam its not a 4ac, maybe a 4afe.

Sounds like the autos shitty.

Your spot on about the "f" part, i just checked the numbers in the engine bay, it's a "4A-FC", and the Trans code is "A240L"

I know it's got something to do with the auto/trans ...but i still need to know what the problem IS exactly and how costly it's gonna be to fix...

Thanks anyway.

Thanks heaps for the help everyone, i'll have a looksie at inspecting and changing the filter/oil tomorrow and see if that makes any differences throughout the week, otherwise i'll have to make up some options for the old man... ie. Trans Swap, Another Car, Etc.

Cheers for all the help, i'll keep ya's posted.

Regards - Josh.

it could be a variety of things automatic transmissions are (ffrom what ive heard fairly complicated) plus i think at 270000 k's she would be gettin a little tired

Autos are no walk in the park. Everything running from Hyrdraulic pressure, clutch bands and servo and all types of doo hickies. Everything must be put back into place the way it came out of.

Good luck with the problem, and changing the oil and oil filter would be good, though I do not see it FULLY changing the problem but give it a shot anyway. Can't hurt to do a service =D