Thailand

soyboy

Hey Guys,

Was wondering if anyone could recommend awesome places to visit that only locals really know about?! Am looking to get some real culture into me, and I'm thinking the touristy places will probably be too commercial? Am open to all manner of suggestions.

Will be over there late Feb/early Mar 09

Cheers!

Members dont see this ad

I lived there from 94 - 97

Patpong in Thailand for the ping pong shows:lol:

Would recommend Pattaya in the South we used to weekend there. Phuket is ok but pretty touristy.

Chiang Mai is definately a great place to visit, though once you've seen one temple you tend to have seen them all. Can pick up some cheap stuff in the Jade factories

Tea Gardens in Bangkok are good for a touristy day trip to see elephants, kickboxing/sword fighting demos and cultural type stuff.

ping pong shows? really?! haha that would be awesome. My mates and I go down to our local for free ping pong every Sunday

I've heard a lot about Chiang Mai! Will probably spend a little bit of time in Bangkok because thats where our flights are arriving/departing. Tea Gardens huh? Is it easy to find ?

I've heard I should keep to the northern parts of Thailand because of all the demonstrations that are going on

ping pong shows? really?! haha that would be awesome. My mates and I go down to our local for free ping pong every Sunday

Um... they aren't the kind of ping pong shows that involve a table and paddles, if you get my drift... hehehe... *pop*

Ok... plenty of people will tell you where to go on the mainland, (Chang Mai, Pattaya etc) but I preferred to cruise around the islands.

There are heaps of less-touristed islands in the east of the gulf... Koh Chang, Mak, Kood....

Then there's the regular party favourites.. Koh Samui, Koh Pha Ngan (full moon party on Hat Rin beach YEEEEWWWW) and Koh Tao.

Then nip back over to the other side of the peninsula to the islands off the coast of Phuket.

Ignore Phi Phi... its one big shiny resort full of f@$king americans in ironed shorts, tucked in shirts and flawlessly white shoes. *shudder*

But there's heaps more... some are developed, some haven't even got electricity yet, which personally I really dig :lolcry:

Koh Racha, the Similans... Koh Lanta is nice... not completely tourist free but not as developed as some.

My favourite is Tarutao... very basic, no resorts, no Americans :wink: