Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ae82 Twin Cam Hand Brake Problem

Featured Replies

Hi... I have an AE82 twin cam (4 wheel disc brakes) and the hand brake doesn't work. The rear calipers have been professionally rebuilt, one new hand brake cable has been replace (adjustment at the handle end is working & both cables now pull evenly) and yet there is still very little hand brake function. As the rear calipers have been resleeved and overhauled I'd like to think this is not the problem. By the way, the hand brake was the same prior to the calipers being done. Has anyone had any experience with this issue on the AE82's or any suggestion as to what to do? Cheers...

Hi... I have an AE82 twin cam (4 wheel disc brakes) and the hand brake doesn't work. The rear calipers have been professionally rebuilt, one new hand brake cable has been replace (adjustment at the handle end is working & both cables now pull evenly) and yet there is still very little hand brake function. As the rear calipers have been resleeved and overhauled I'd like to think this is not the problem. By the way, the hand brake was the same prior to the calipers being done. Has anyone had any experience with this issue on the AE82's or any suggestion as to what to do? Cheers...

When the brakes were installed, was the handbrake adjusted at the caliper end?

aka, you need to screw the actual piston out, to get the right clearance, so when the handbrake is pulled up, the brakes clasp.

You should bring it to my house in ipswich.

  • Author

Thanks for the offer but it will be some time before the car will be on the road. It seems that the piston needs to be screwed out to get the correct clearance so i will try that first. Cheers

Thanks for the offer but it will be some time before the car will be on the road. It seems that the piston needs to be screwed out to get the correct clearance so i will try that first. Cheers

 

The piston does not have to be screwed out, They are self adjusting, You just pump up the brakes and the handbrake location will be set.

  • Author

Hi & thanks for the tip. That makes good sense.. I'll give that a try and see how it goes... I appreciate the feedback.

Cheers

  • Author

Ok It seems that there are a number of thoughts on the adjustment of the rear calipers??.... I have heard that the pistons do screw in and out to allow fitment of new pads. Many caliper designs work this way. What has me intrigued with this one is that everything up to the calipers seems to be operating perfectly. i.e. cables are free and are also even at the balance bar towards the hand brake lever end. To my way of thinking that really only leaves the calipers that could be in question. Before I do anything more I will get a friend to watch the calipers as the hand brake lever is operated to check for free operation of the actuating lever and then take it further from there. I'll let you know what I find. Cheers and thanks again.

<retracted>. Just get some multi grips, and screw the pistons out. I had a similar issue when I did my brake conversion, and a mechanic mate had a look at it, and fixed it in 5 minutes - by screwing the piston out a little bit...

Edited by Bowler

the rear drums are self adjusting, but the rear disc models aren't. Just get some multi grips, and screw the pistons out. I had a similar issue when I did my brake conversion, and a mechanic mate had a look at it, and fixed it in 5 minutes - by screwing the piston out a little bit...

 

 

FFS mate, I know what i am talking about, I work on toyota's all day everyday, Have several AE82's and know toyota rear brakes but if you know better go ahead.

FFS mate, I know what i am talking about, I work on toyota's all day everyday, Have several AE82's and know toyota rear brakes but if you know better go ahead.

look, i'm just goin off personal experience, and the 5 or 6 manuals all saying the same thing

look, i'm just goin off personal experience, and the 5 or 6 manuals all saying the same thing

 

"PE" so only once.

 

Patanga you only have to wind the piston in (clockwise) when you are putting new pads in, Under no circumstances should you have to wind the piston out, The brakes are already installed on your car so this shows that you have already done this, Just pump up your brakes a few times and the rears WILL adjust themselves (unless the ratcheting mechanism is stuffed) and you will be able to use your handbrake, If you want me to show you the CORRECT way I can come to you for the cost of fuel or if you want a second opinion you can call my workshop:

 

Road & Track

Ph: 32017079

 

Servicing & repairing the unusual is an everyday occurrence for us

Modern performance; Toyota Corolla, Sprinter, MR2, Celica, GT4 & Supra

 

Road & Track

 

Bowler do some research before you give false information in the future.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.