Help! Camshaft ( Resolved )

ke rollin 20

hey all I'm trying to pull the camshaft out of a 3k engine but I'm having a bit of trouble..

anyone no how to get these suckers out???

iv basically stripped the engine and pulled the head off an the block apart but still can't get it out...?

Edited by ke rollin 20

Members dont see this ad

You pull it the cam out the front of the motor. Pull off the timing chain and undo the 2 cover bolts and keep the cam level and slide it out. Not an OHC motor, so there's no need to pull the head off while changing cams. I just use a swag of rare earth magnets to stop the lifters falling out with the cam removed. Possibly the lifters are locking the cam in.

not a chance lol, the lifter bores are long straight tunnels with a rod (pushrod)

going down inside them and the pushrod goes into a bucket (lifter). the lifter rests on

the cam lobe and goes up and down in the lifter bore with the cam rotation.

the pushrods just rest in the lifters so when you pull out the pushrods out the lifters

tend to stay in the bores, then you need to remove the lifters to remove the cam

as they will get in the way of the cam lobes and cam bearing journals as the

cam tries to slide outwards from under the bores as they are all up and down

over different cam lobes.

so you can take them out with a special gripper tool or a strong magnet and keep them

in order so you can replace them as removed to match the lobe. check lifters for wear

as they are purposely taper ground to aid rotation on tha cam lobe and arent flat as you

might expect.

new cams need lifters reground to break in properly as far as i know, something

to keep in mind.

Edited by styler