Car Dies On Acceleration In Wet Weather

Mybowlcut

Hey.

It's raining over here and I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to go out and do an errand in my automobile. :y: I get to the bottleshop and I've got my lights on (it was raining heavily) and my radio and my windscreen wipers on full ball. I turn my windscreen wipers off since I'm undercover and I eventually purchase my alcohol and hop back in the car. I accelerate to leave and the car just DIES. The more acceleration, the more it dies.

I am thinking this is either from the huge pools of water I was driving through on the way there, or something to do with too much electricity being used. Or could it be from the water getting into the electrics?

Very intrigued to know why this happened.. as a similiar thing happened in a car wash I went through in my last corolla (will never do that again).

Cheers.

Edit: Should note that when I got out and pulled the accelerated cable from under the bonnet, it didn't die... it would rev fine if I did it that way.

Edited by Mybowlcut

Members dont see this ad

Same problem here buddy. I think it's just condensation getting in the fuel system. I backfired my carby by

swapping two leads over on the dizzy and revving/letting it off and it gets it out, but it started doing it again

about 10 mins later.

PM me if you get any amazing breakthroughs.

check that you havn't got any water in the dizzy cap and all that kinda jazz mate because i had that prob in a mates laser it had water in the dizzy cap and wouldnt go anywhere so yeah check dizzy cap and all conections and what not that have anything to do with electrical my advice dunno if it will help but worth a try

Same problem here buddy. I think it's just condensation getting in the fuel system. I backfired my carby by

swapping two leads over on the dizzy and revving/letting it off and it gets it out, but it started doing it again

about 10 mins later.

PM me if you get any amazing breakthroughs.

Haha bummer. Sucks hey? Yeah will do.

check that you havn't got any water in the dizzy cap and all that kinda jazz mate because i had that prob in a mates laser it had water in the dizzy cap and wouldnt go anywhere so yeah check dizzy cap and all conections and what not that have anything to do with electrical my advice dunno if it will help but worth a try
Will keep that in mind, cheers. :y:

Q20 or CRC 556 for the dizzy, coil and leads... The reason it revved from under the bonnet was that it wasn't under load so the spark plugs could fire easily. Once you tried to drive it the electricity leaked around the cap or jumped off the coil head through the damp surface. Might be slight cracks in either of those components, you might be able to see dark tracking lines on them.

Helps to clean all dirt and oil off the coil head and dizzy cap occasionally. When rallying we used an underbody spray to put a thick insulating layer on those parts as we drove through rivers occasionally.