Ke70 4k Alternator Not Charging.

Rola Drifter

Hi there guys,

As some of you may have read, i recently bought an 83 model ke70 & it has a brand new battery in it but the alternator isn't charging. The alternator looks like its brand new & just come off the shelf.

I've had a search through here & google and have found a couple of diagrams to make sure it's all wired up properly (which it seems to be), but it still doesn't seem to be charging.

There is a thick white wire & a smaller yellow/white trace wire that go from the engine bay fuse box into a 2 pin plug on the alternator. They have power when the car is off.

There is also a small black wire on the rear housing that has a connector on the end but does also have a clear plastic covering on it to stop it from being unprotected. Does it need to be connected to an earth or power of some sort?

Also i found a dash wiring diagram for it because the charge light doesn't come on when the key is turned into the "IGN" position. It says that the wire in the dash cluster for the charge + (positive) is Yellow, & the charge - (negative) is Black/Orange. The charge + has power when the key isn't turned on & the charge - only has power in "IGN" position. The bulb hasn't blown & still works in any other spot but the charge light position.

Is there anyone out there that could possibly shed some light on my situation???

It's a bosch alternator with a sticker on the back saying "Bosch 0 120 484 033, kn--14v 14/85a, made in spain", if that helps.

Here's a couple of pics i've taken to hopefully help out.

Cheers for looking.

Tom

1. Small black wire

post-2186-1236137212_thumb.jpg

2. 2 pin plug. (Thick white & small yellow/white wire)

post-2186-1236137336_thumb.jpg

3. Fuse Box (Engine Bay)

A. Is the charge fuse still in tact.

B. Is where the thick white wire connects on the fuse box.

C. Is where the small yellow/white wire connects on the fuse box

post-2186-1236137811_thumb.jpg

4. Dash Plug

D. Charge - (negative)

E. Charge + (positive)

post-2186-1236140233_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rola Drifter

Members dont see this ad
you might think its been reco but a spray can say a lot??take your car to a local auto-electrician and have the alternator check whether its charging or not?

Yeah very true, but according to my mate he had it changed over by an auto elecy, watched him get it off the shelf & swap them over but yeah i dunno the whole thing because i wasn't there when it happened lol.

i think the next best thing to do this arvo would br to pull the alternator off & take it somewhere to be checked hey, cause unfortunately my car isn't rego'd yet :|

Yeah very true, but according to my mate he had it changed over by an auto elecy, watched him get it off the shelf & swap them over but yeah i dunno the whole thing because i wasn't there when it happened lol.

i think the next best thing to do this arvo would br to pull the alternator off & take it somewhere to be checked hey, cause unfortunately my car isn't rego'd yet :|

same thing happened to mine. had a recond alternator for about 2 months then it f@$ked up. got told it was the regualtor. the little black box on the back of the alternator. it is internally regulated if you need to talk to anyone about it. i borrowed an alternator of my mates ke55 and its been going sweet ever since. i would replace the regulator and see how you go. it should all be sweet after that. if not get the alternator tested by your auto elec.

Cheers for the replies. I went & took it off the car before so i have it ready to take to tafe with me tomorrow & i'm going to see if any of my teachers can help with telling if its stuffed or not.

Failing that i'll be popping into an auto electricians workshop on the way home & hopefully someone can let me know. But i will keep this updated to slet you all know what happens.

Cheers again guys.

Tom

Ok guys, i took it with me to tafe yesterday & our auto electrical teacher looked at it straight up & told me it was an alternator from a vn/vp commodore & there is an injection like plug that plugs into the top of the alternator.

So $12 & half an hour later with a brand new injector plug in hand, i had rewired it into the charge light & hooked up 2 other wires & she is all good and charging at around 14 volts :cool:

Cheers for your help & advice guys.

Tom