How To Tell The Grind/profile Of A Cam...

Ella

hey guys,

i want to find out what the cam in my 5k that i blew up on friday is... I'm kind of convinced by it shitting another (practically new) lifter before i blew it up, that it might be a solid cam, and if so I'm gonna stick the f@$ker in my 4K. which is horridly slow after the high comp, cammed 5k :laff:

whats the best way to tell, or if you can't just measure it, who do i take it to (prefer northside brisbane) to get it measured up.

cheers kents :lolcry:

Luke/ella/kent

Members dont see this ad

You can do it fairly easily. Get a dial gauge with magnetic base and a protractor and an engine block

- slide the cam most of the way into the block and left the first 2 lobes poking out

- Stick protractor to the front of the cam

- use the Magnetic base to mount the dial gauge assy, with the tip of the probe at a Normal to the cam profile.

- Zero the gauge at on the root diameter of the lobe. If you don't know where that is, you need to read up.

- Rotate the cam through its motions using the protractor to increment. At every 5 degrees take a measurement off your dial gauge

- The highest point of the lobe might not fall on your 5degree increments, so make not of where that point is

- Take your data and plot them in a graph in Excel.

You need to consider the true profile of your curve as well because the tip of your dial gauge will give incorrect readings depending on the radius. You just need to offset the value.

Sounds tricky but it is quite easy to do. You do both profiles, making sure you measure with the same 0 degree point, and when you plot it you can see your duration and overlap etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hey guys just bump in here for a question have any of use heard or thought about putting gsx1100 carbies on a 4k????

(mite have to get them tuned proply tho) :dance:

and does any one now what the best cam profile is for a 4k with 60thou oversized pistons and head shaved 40thou /ported and polished I'm very new when it comes to cams? plz help :party: