$50 Paint Job

Oh-KE

I have been looking into cheap and effective ways of doing a do it your self paint job on my rolla.

I was amazed when i came across this method of using a roller for applying normal enamel type paints and even more amazed at how good it looks.

It also seems to be much less messy and easier and less smelly.

Has anyone seen or heard of anyone doing it like this?

http://www.rickwrench.com/index79master.ht...ollarpaint.html

And here is a forum where they are discussing it..

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showfl...part=1&vc=1

I am seriously considering this as i don't have access to a sprayer or a compressor at the moment.

Cheers

Members dont see this ad

hey bud i have two rollas and I'm currently geting one ready to spray

it seems all to easy to me i can't really see it turning out like that using rolers and just enamel paint in the picture it looks like it has been clear coated and everything

i guess if ur not to worried about the quality of the job then give it a go u could always sand it off and start again it is only 50 bux i guess

i would be interested to see how it turns out.

all my paint thinners primer and clear cost 200 and i will be uring a compressor and spray gun 4 mine.

Something tells me that the link that you gave could be a bunch of horse shit. I doubt that paint coming from a roller would turn out like that. And where is the pictures of him actually doing it? Someones makin a funny i reckon.

Yeah thats a fair point and i thought the same but then after reading through some of the second link (forum) it seems there are other people getting good results.

Obviously its not going to be as good as a pro spray but still...

i sprayed my wagon with cans of aussie export. Silver and matte black. Its no pro job but its half decent and has held up ok. Sand paper and paint all up would have been like $30. Matte colours work better long term. Gloss just tends to fade. Check out some of the pics on my profile. And see what u think

hey guys I'm posotive it would work out all good he aplied alot of coats and after using 1400 grit sandpaper and a polisher or just wet dry' a thick enough coat of paint will work out sweet the only thing is the paint would be $50 you still need sand paper and thats about $40 and the brushes $20, and the paint does it need the primer? will it stick properly'

hey guys I'm posotive it would work out all good he aplied alot of coats and after using 1400 grit sandpaper and a polisher or just wet dry' a thick enough coat of paint will work out sweet the only thing is the paint would be $50 you still need sand paper and thats about $40 and the brushes $20, and the paint does it need the primer? will it stick properly'

We don't know! Read how they've done it on the pages you've been reading lol. I'd say you'd need primer, though.

I just imagine this method would need a lot more sanding than a spray job.

If I were you, I'd give it a go on something like a guard or bootlid and see if it turns out how it is supposed to.

I've read about these methods and I'm considering going down this road myself as it looks pretty fair-dinkum.

Good luck!

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/?showtopic=22733 :bash:

1/. Its nowhere near $50 once you factor in all the hidden costs (thinners, wet and dry papers of various grades)

2/. It is not easy to get a really good result, I had to "nuke" two coats and start again until I started to get a handle on the technique.

3/. I takes SHITLOADS of time to get a good result.

4/. I believe it is possible to get a decent result (the paint does set "hard" and is shiny)

5/. I don't believe that even if you did everything perfectly, the result would be as good as a GOOD (i.e. $$$$$$$) spray job, but feel it would probably be close to a cheap spray job, but would last longer.

6/. I will continue to do it because A: I'm a tightarse! B: I'm not overly obsessive about looks. I will probably continue doing the last couple of coats by spraying.

7/. The key to getting a decent result seems to be knowing how much to thin the paint down, and how much to apply at one time.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Thanks for all the feedback I think I will do some tests first and see how they turn out. If they are good I will do the whole car...

It certainly looks like if you put the time into it (which i have more of than i do money) then it can come out good and cheap.

Thanks again

Chris