Ke20 / Ke10 Standard Gear Shifter

Ke20nut

Hi I'm just wondering if anyone knows, what size thread the standard corolla gear knob shifter has , for a ke20 original 4spd box?

Its been a while since i done measurements on bolts . Can any one help me quickly on thread size for the gear knob?

Edited by Ke20nut

Members dont see this ad

take your gearknob off and measure across the top of the threaded section.

8mm is early, 12mm is late.

i can't remember if the height of the thread is taken into account, anyway, there's a big enough difference between them to tell.

Edited by dfunkt

take your gearknob off and measure across the top of the threaded section.

8mm is early, 12mm is late.

i can't remember if the height of the thread is taken into account, anyway, there's a big enough difference between them to tell.

Metric male threads are classified from tip-to-tip diameter (ie taking the thread height into account). So an M12 will be overall outside diameter of 12mm (a female thread will have an inner diameter of roughly 10.2mm, as they are classified from root-to-root diameter). M8 male will be 8mm, M8 female about 6.8mm.

lol, i went to check and i can't get the bloody knob off. :bash:

is there some grub screw or clip that i can't see or do i have girly arms and just need to turn harder?

Spray up inside the knob with WD40, get a rubber glove or something that has better grip, use vice-grips/pliers/adjustable-spanner (around a towel or something so it doesn't scratch) etc, all will work eventually, the gear knob just seizes up a bit if it hasn't been removed for ages. I remember when I took the knob off in my AE102 that it was stuck so hard I actually lifted the vinyl off the frame, so I was still left with a gear-knob stuck on except it was hard white plastic instead of padded grey vinyl...