Issues With The 55!

Murd 55

so a couple days ago i drove home from work and all was well, i then went out to get some food and alas no indicators, not that bad i guess but have no idea what caused it or what the actual issue is. and I'm sure everyone i drive around thinks I'm an ass now when i don't indicate to change lane turn corners ect. i am assuming it is either the flash can or the combo switch, but i am not exactly sure what or where the flasher can is. ive looked in the drivers side side plastic panel and there is wires everywhere and not much else so i put the cover back on and decided to leave it alone.

also today being rather warm i decided i would put some air on and alas absolutely nothing, i turn the switch on to 3 and no fan or aircon kicks in.

i am in need of an auto electrician i guess but really am not wanting to pay $100+ an hour when i know the wiring in the 55 is an absolute mess so even the best auto elec will prob take more than an hour to sort it out!

any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Murd 55

Members dont see this ad

Have you got a repair manual for the jigger ? Have a look in the wiring section at the fuses cause most times you'll find that on the fuse panel it'll only say what each fuse is mostly related to, say for example, the ciggie fuse could also be the fuse for the parkers and the radio but since there's only enough room for one item and everybody smoked including the best mates dog and not every car had a radio so cigarette lighter fuse was used.

From memory the flash can is up under the dash right side of the column.

Might also be the ideal time to start cleaning up the wiring mess cause you could even have a short happening

you can't say that and then not tell me things to try =[ i still am to find this damn flasher can. i found 3 things i thought might be flasher cans, but i guess not as wen i unplugged them they did nothing and my hazards once again were still working

ok sussed it all out, found the flasher can for the hazards unplug it and the hazards stop, also found the one for indicators, now i am unsure as how to see weather it is this silly plastic thing that is the issue!

this is the flasher can for the indicators yes?

post-4225-1238750723_thumb.jpgpost-4225-1238750752_thumb.jpg

similar to the hazard one except the hazard one had all hella and toyota crap written on it.

If your hazards work it wont be the flasher can. could be the contact that is internal in the stalk broken or dislodged would take 2 minutes to swap it out and test with another if anyone willing to donate. just need a spare and no need to remove yours just unplug it and the two screws that hold it to the column. Hope this helps.

post-1432-1238759616_thumb.jpg

That should be the flasher can. They only have three wires hanging off it at the most. Located in the drivers kick panel.

But anywho, what he said ^^^

And that relay... is an aftermarket job. If what your saying is that the blinkers stopped blinking after you disconnected it, it's more then likely the car once upon time had a tow hitch fitted and these relays were fitted to take the increased load off the flasher can

i replaced that circled flasher can, still nothing guess i am down to waiting to see if anyone is willing to lend me their combo switch to see if thats the issue as i don't need to waste more money on things that it isnt, stupid flasher can was like $26 =[

ok so did that and the stalk works about the same as mine, and whilst testing this i noticed my wipers ect don't work either. seems the deeper i look the more i find that doesnt work. I'm thinking there is something not right in the wiring somewhere and that is causing all 3 issues. indicator, wipers and air con

With the air con does the fan itself work ? How about the interior light ? Cause from what i can read on the wiring diagram in the book is that the a/c motor is fused in with the interior light and clock, but the power it needs to switch itself on comes from the switch for the heater fan - which is pretty normal in its own right.

Ok, now thats sorted going back into the wiring diagram again, do you have dash lights, hi-beam lamp, heater lamp ? Cause from what i can figure out from the diagram is that all three "issues" are connected by a White/Black wire which also connects to these lamps. Its a grounding wire and at a guess it'll be up around the dash area

Tracing back through the diagram - do the brake lights work ? Their connected to the hazard switch via the fuse box.

I'm starting to get double vision looking at this diagram but i'd say pull out the fuse box and see if you have power on the battery side of it. Starting with the fuse for "Stop Turn" - the "Wiper Wash" fuse is connected to the same power wire.

all fuses work, interior light works, brake lights work, the air con fan does not work at all. dash lights work air con back lights work. only thing ive found that don't work are the air con and fan, wiper and water things for the wipers so that whole stalk, and the indicators, all headlights hazards work ect. tried another combo switch and exactly the same.