Done Before On Rolla??

neil

Thought i would throw this one out there just in case there is someone who has done it before.

A front mount power steering rack for a ke55? :party:

I currently have a 1jzgte sitting in its final place and I'm wanting to put a rack on to make it steer easier. putting it behind the cross member is not an option as i already have a rear sump 1j and I'm not going to be setting it any further back to make room. i can swap struts from left to right to give it a front steering point.

anything is possibe and i will be doing it for sure. ive done a couple of google searches but have not found much as yet.

help me out lads.....

Members dont see this ad

I'm pretty sure Fook (Demuire) has done a KE55 to KE70 rack conversion before. Which physically is similar dimensions to an AE86 powersteering rack. If you reverse the pivot points of the steering the pinion will be on the wrong side of the rack and steering right will make your car turn left (which I think you understand) You'll definitely need to work out a rack that's go the pinion in the right spot.

I'd think about tracking down a front 1JZ sump to save you problems, then running an AE86 powersteering rack will be relatively straight forward.

custom sump, keep the steering on the rear of the crossmember.

imagine the angles you will need to run a steering arm out to the far side of the crossmember, i think the knuckles would bind...

not to mention all the other problems