I Think My Petrol Gauge Gets Stuck

Lexxi[ke35]

The little stick on my petrol gauge always seems to be sitting in the same spot, just above half.

I'll fill it up and it'll go down to there, but then it sits there for a fair while. Like I'll drive about 60k's or so and it won't move at all, and then it'll slowly start going down again. Could it be because my car is more fuel economic when its half full or something or is it actually stuck?

I don't really wanna be driving along and think my tank is half full and suddenly run out of fuel...

So what's going on and what do I do?

EDIT: I figured if the gauge wasn't working it would be electrical so I thought this was an ok place to put it...

Edited by Lexxi[ke35]

Members dont see this ad

That's a KE for you, where the fuel gauge will either follow the temp gauge, constantly show empty, or just have a mind of it's own and flicker all over the place. Some success has been had with replacing the fuel sender (something in the FAQ about it? If not search, it's come up before), or just do what I did and filled it up to the top, drove no more than 500km before filling up again, and had a 20L jerry can as a backup for emergencies (ran out of fuel 3 times)

Fuel level senders work on a resistance reading, Basically you take the fuel level sender wire to frame and the gauge should get full deflection (empty to full) and stay at full till you take the wire away from frame. Thats the easiest way to diagnose if your fuel sender is at fault or the gauge..