K Motor Carbies...

First of all, yes ive spent most of this evening google'ing, searching forums ect.... so cut me some slack :hmm:

Problem is my KE55 Decided to die on me the other day

Its a KE55, with a 4k from a KE70.

stock as a rock

First Question. the Mechanical pump has a return line. the KE55 doesn't have a return line to take to make use of this. is it fine to block it off at pump ?

Reason the car died is the Carby over fueled its self. I am led to believe this is cause of the Float level OR a sticky needle?

Any other reasons why the Carby would fill up with fuel to the point it stalled?

the pump wouldn't cause that cause i blocked off the return line?

I did a bit reading on setting the needle and seat, and float level ect. and Pointers on doing this? (no i don't have a manual so don't ask lol)

just need a basic run down on getting it going again.

any help be great, can take pics if needed. no doubt ill be back here with pics tomorrow with carb in pieces haha :dance:

Members dont see this ad

May be a long shot, but, with my sisters old Ke35/55/something, the choke used to stick "on" when you used it. So if you pulled the choke "on" and then put it "off", the butterflies still were closed and would cause it to over fuel and randomly stall at traffic lights/stopping. Chances are that it will be something else, but I just thought, being colder weather and all now, chances are that you may have started using the choke.

I thought that a sticking n+s would more affect the car once it is turned off, and then tried to start up again as it would cause fuel to continue to run into the manifold when the engine is off and thus flood it when you try and restart it. I could be way off here though :dance:

Hopefully someone else will be able to help.

Edited by bLinded_

hey mate i got a 4k in a ke70 my carbie stuffed so replaced it with a weber and why doing that i decided to block of the return line, it started then stopped after hours of hair ripping we decided to hook the return line back up it then started straight away so it could be to much fuel pressure as this can force your needle to stay open end give very poor take off to

Thats what i thought. any way around this?

The mechanical pump that was on the original KE55 motor had a different shaped arm that sits on the cam and pumps. i tried it but the car was leaning out and ran crap.

Actually on a quick note, when i had both pumps i got spare apart, the only difference besides the arm shapes, was the top part. one had a fuel return, one didnt.

Edited by Falken_KE30

Got some pics of the 2 pumps, also on a side note the carby was munted :dance:. took the top off and had a look. the float had hole in it and the needle thing it presses against was broken.

On the left is the KE55 pump, Right is KE70

sany0871.jpg

sany0872.jpg

sany0873.jpg

sany0876.jpg

can't see any reason why i can't just put the KE55 top half onto the KE70 bottom half. ideas?

Do yourself a favour and buy either a fuel pump kit, or a new fuel pump.

Things that can go wrong are the diaphram splitting, the valves die and don't pump, and the seal on the pushrod hardens and leaks.

There are a couple of new fuel pumps on ebay atm for just under $50 delivered.

i already have a good pump on it now, main question is, is it ok to block off the return line?

those two pumps in pics are old ones. Just showing the difference in the two.

As for carby i am getting a replacement, i said nothing about fixing this one :dance:. and i know its only 4 bolts, ffs.

And Felix, i know the Diaphragm cracks, thats the reason i had to replace the 2nd Pump... 1st pump was wrong type arm, 2nd pump leaked through the cracks int he diaphragm and came out the breather holes on bottom.

Edited by Falken_KE30

No worries, I just thought you were replacing a stuffed pump.

About 2 years ago I had to replace a fuel pump on one of my cars. I had 5 old pumps on the shelf and they all had issues: 2 with cracked diaphrams, 2 with bad valves and one with a buggered seal on the arm. I bought a new pump.

I don't really think the return makes that much difference. The earlier cars didn't have a return line.

Edited by Felix