Broken But Dunno What It Does???

sidewaysvc

Members dont see this ad

Look up the emission diagrams and you'll see they are part of the vacuum signal for cold/warm engine.

Doesn't do anything on mine, they've been blocked off along with the EGR stuff!

How about the BVSV, the bimetallic vacuum switching valve... That must switch according to temperature...

What's the story on overheating?? Checked the thermostat in a pan of boiling water? Flushed the rad backwards??

Edited by altezzaclub

G`day mate, have you checked your thermostat. It`s the simplest place to start. Simply take it out and place it in a container of fairly hot water and see if it opens. If not, replace.

One of the 4K`s that I pulled down recently had a blocked by-pass hose. Undo the clamps, flush the hose with water and replace. Also check the small pipes where the hose attaches.

If you are running a lot of timing advance can also cause over heating. Check that the distributor is not stuck on full advance. Take the vacuum advance line off the carby and suck the end of it while the car is idling. You will notice a change in engine revs if it is working ok.

Grab hold of your fan while the motor is stopped and see if you can detact any excess play in the water pump bearings.

To check for cracked head/head gasket, take the radiatot cap off when the engine is stopped, top up the radiator and start the engine. In some cases the pressure from a blown head gasket will make coolant gush out of the top, or in some cases bubbles will appear as the engine idles.

try to avoid using radiator flush type additives coz they are all caustic and can result in your alloy head being eaten from the inside out.

Same goes for coolant leak stoppers, they can sometimes block and ailing radiator and cost you bucks for a replacement.

Hope this helps.

hey mate yeah i replaced my thermostat didnt help the old one opened but for piece of mind and only $5 i replaced it anyways while i replaced my waterpump i flushed it n after that it seamed to overheat ever since then. And checked for typical head gasket evidence and can't see any so i think it could be blocked i have picked up a reco radiator thats my next step replace that see how i go..

hey mate yeah i replaced my thermostat didnt help the old one opened but for piece of mind and only $5 i replaced it anyways while i replaced my waterpump i flushed it n after that it seamed to overheat ever since then. And checked for typical head gasket evidence and can't see any so i think it could be blocked i have picked up a reco radiator thats my next step replace that see how i go..

If you run a hydro fan clutch, check that it is working properly. The fan will always spin when the motor is running but the fan may not be "pumping" enough air to be effective.

Hey mate,

Did you happen to have fan shroud on at all before this happened & perhaps left it off??

I had to replace my alternator not to long ago, so i took my fan shroud off & left it off. I replaced my alternator & then after all that, i noticed my temp gauge was getting a bit higher than what it normally did while i was driving. & even higher when i pulled up at lights.

I then done a radiator flush, replaced the thermostat with a new one & new gasket & in the end it still kept heating up. My other half told me "maybe you should put the plastic thingy back where it was". Well what would you know, when i could actually be bothered & did have some free time i put it back on & haven't had any drama's since.

But don't let her know she was right lol

Hope you get it sorted out soon mate. :bash: