May 21, 200521 yr comment_45061 Time to call on the collective wisdom of Corolla land. I've noticed lately especially since the weather turned a little colder that the 3K has a distimct rattle for a minute or so after starting then it quietens. Do these engines have a hydraulic tensioner on the chain that perhaps is a little slower to take up the slack when the oil is thicker? Is this a problem? Is it anything to be concerned about? Barry Report
May 21, 200521 yr comment_45067 The timing chain tensioner is spring loaded. Edited May 21, 200521 yr by kangaroosa Report
May 22, 200521 yr comment_45152 i've never seen a double row timing chain snap on a K motor. they will stretch and wear through the timing cover if you leave them long enough. i've heard engines (eg: my old 3k) where the chain actually rubs against the cover, it sounds like metal grating inside the engine :thumbsup: Report
May 22, 200521 yr comment_45209 The tensioner is oil pressure assisted as well as using the spring for tension Report
May 22, 200521 yr comment_45254 true that. if you have any end float in the crank, or worn main bearings, that could steal oil pressure from the tensioner until the oil warms up and gets thicker? try a 50w oil and see if the noise goes away Report
May 22, 200521 yr Author comment_45287 Thanks again folks. !. I have alway been under the misaprehension that oil thinned when it got hot Mr Super Jamie!!. It has a 30 -50 grade in it now. 2. This engine of mine has only done 63,000 km so I don't think it has worn bearings, I'll be trying a thinner grade next to see if the oil gets to the tensioner quicker. Edited May 22, 200521 yr by bmews Report
May 22, 200521 yr Author comment_45293 I knew that you knew that, I couldn't resist the wind up though. Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now