Ae92 And Ae82

hey all,

Well ive been searching around for some suspension items for my good ol' SOHC ae82, and ive come across alot of ae92 stuff but not so much ae82.

So will front and rear coil springs out of a ae92 fit into a SOHC ae82?? I would just change to DOHC ae82 struts but i can't really find any that are local.

Cheers :bash:

Members dont see this ad
I would just change to DOHC ae82 struts but i can't really find any that are local.

From memory the whole front strut is different between the single cam and twin cam '82. At least the top hat thing is anyways, single cam top hat is a three stud job while the twincam is four studs. Don't remember if the twincam one is a bolt in fit or if the holes have to be drilled.

Having a look in my Monroe shock absorber catalogue the struts are the same for both the ae82 twincam and ae92. AE82 sohc and dohc rear's are the same, AE92 rear's are different.

And having a look on www.kingsprings.com.au the front springs between the '82 sohc and dohc are different but their the same on the back. AE92 rear's are different

Front

Ok, from the top, the top hats are different between struts, but Twincam items will fit fine, or you can use the top hat from a SOHC. Bolt holes are pre drilled, so this will be a straight bolt up item. supposedly, you can also inverse the SOHC top hat to use the rear bolt hole, and this apparently gives you more camber.

The top spring seat is different between Twincam and SOHC so once again, Twincam items are desirable, or you could use ae92 items.

The springs...well, you can use any springs up to an ae101 with the Twincam strut, but the SOHC springs are narrower (and I believe slightly longer).

The strut is the same for Twincam and the base ae92 models however, the SX/GTi struts are the ones you want, because they are 10mm shorter and use a larger diameter damper.

The hubs are also different between SOHC and Twincam, where Twincam uprights (where they meet the strut) are thicker, and the bolt holes are larger than the SOHC. Thus you CANNOT fit a Twincam/ae92 strut to an SOHC upright.

The thing I am unaware of however (and I have asked questions) is, is there any difference between the mounting positions of an ae92 upright, compared to that of a Twincam item? If there isn't, one would think you could almost adopt an ae92 front end, to the SOHC top hat.

Rear

Like the front, where you'd need to retain the factory top hats, the SOHC and Twincam models are the same. I have also again asked questions, as to if it is possible to fit an AE92 rear end to an AE82, where apparently it is, but you need a grinder, and the lower control arms. By doing an AE92 rear end conversion, there are possibilities to use Koni/many coilovers, and all will bolt up nicely.

Edited by Bowler