Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

K50 Gearbox On A 3k-c Engine

Featured Replies

Was with a friend today and bought a KE20 rally car. But it needs a 5speed box now then isn't in rally anymore.

Anyone now If a K50 (starlet 5 speed box ) fitts on a 3K-C ? Is an K40 box in now . but want to be real sure before I go buy a K50 gearbox.

 

Has 3K-C and 4K-C the same gearbox mounts ?

 

Thanks

Yeap, K40's and K50's bolt straight up. There are two shifter positions on the K40's and K50's. The ke30/55 have a foward shifter position and the Ke70 gear boxes have the shifter about 3 inches further back.

 

The ke10/20's have a shifter position further foward than the ke30/55's.

 

Not sure on the starlet shifter position tho :y:

 

I know swapping from a ke30/55 K40 to a KE70 K50 the mounts are different.

 

Hope this helps mate.

  • Author

Thanks . Have another question about K40/K50 gearboxes... The K40 is "stronger" then the K50. Why? Or is it how you drive you deside the lifetime of the K50 box ?

Its in the FAQ. But yes the k40 gearbox is stonger due to having less gears. IF you drive any thing like you stole it. it will break. correct me if I'm wrong

Cheers Jamie

Edited by canna

Due to the mainshaft (i think) being longer in the K50, people say it may be more easier to break.

 

But as i said to Canna earlier today, I drove my 4K-H and K50 combo like a mad man sometimes. Ripped skids and did some impressive standstills and didnt have a problem.

 

I think its like everything, soemtimes you get something assembled from the factory and its a piece of crap. Other times you can get something from the factory and have it last the distance.

 

Like some corolla diffs, some have been able to kill them with a 3k. Others have put 160rwkw thru them and they've taken the punishment (13BT KE20)

The 5th Gear is an Overdriven gear. Typically the 5th speed is the weak part of the gearbox, it takes a lot more load than any other gear in the box and may have a tendency to break.

 

If you aren't trying for any land speed records I wouldn't worry about it!

I agree with philbey. The only real weak part of the K50 is 5th. I've chewed out one already and I'm on my way through my second. The gearbox isn't really designed properly for constant 100km/h cruising.

I've found second gear is what breaks.

 

The later boxes have more reinforcing on the case, plus from what I understand the bearings/shafts are a bit beefier. I've never stripped one down myself, just replaced as needed.

 

Also you have to keep in mind the age, km's travelled, plus possible abuse of prior owners.

Edited by Felix

Yet the only way I killed mine was by throwing it back into first while I was doing 50km/h. Took teeth off first gear. Used to tow a camper, go for blasts through the bush, do clutchless changes etc and it had no issues.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.