Ae86 Tailshaft Uni Joints

demuire

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh cool. Would it at all be possible for you to bring it along with you when you come up? I want to see if it'll actually fit on the car... With only about 10mm to work with between the tailshaft and the fuel/brake lines, I don't know if it'll clear everything...

Found to eBay links:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...ssPageName=WD1V

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...ssPageName=WD1V

$65 and $76 respectively (including postage).

Looking at photos, it looks deceptively simple, if I wanted to make one the only bit I don't think i could buy off the shelf would be the round bits...

Are the "L" bits meant to point up, or down? Pointing up I can see being a problem, as the transmission tunnel is round, and I have no space between the tailshaft and side of the tunnel. Pointing down is also a problem, as the car is already quite low...

I've got gloves, no worries.

Had a novel idea today (probably a stupid one, but what the hell...). Get a flat steel bar, bend it so that it clears the tailshaft (after all, the shaft is only hanging under the floor level by maybe 10mm or so, standard height it actually goes *up* from the gearbox). Then bolt a big U-bolt to it, hahaha.

It would probably work too, if it wasn't for the fact that I can't get a U-bolt to fit in there... Maybe I should move the fuel/brake lines, that would make life so much easier. Except, then they'd be *under* the car (as opposed to inside the transmission tunnel), and I don't think that's a good thing. Not to mention what a pain it is to bend all that piping again!

a tailshaft loop's primary function is to stop your car pole vaulting if it ever snaps the front uni. secondary bonuses are the fact you don't f@$k up the trans tunnel or your brake/fuel lines if such an event does occur, because it's all contained within a metal loop, as in the kits you have pictured above

a strap such as i have drawn below would function as a tailshaft loop, however

if you did lose the front uni, remember for every 1 spin of the wheels, the tailshaft is spinning 4.77 times (or whatever the diff ratio is) so it's got a fair amount of rotational energy behind it. considering it's usually enough to lift 1.5 tonnes of car into the air, it's a fair bet that you'd probably tear through the transmission tunnel (and you?) or at the very least, bend the floorpan in such a way that it could possibly write off the shell. let's not forget to mention the brake lines and handbrake cable and hydro handbrake lines and fuel lines which run down the trans tunnel

in short, buy a proper loop :)

• 4 weeks later...

Also, I have just realised that my rear unis are replaceable, the circlips are on the inside (thanks Rob!). Not sure about the front one, haven't had a proper look.

Rob: I think my tailshaft is a bigger diameter than yours, see how it takes up most of the transmission tunnel? But then again, you're breaking unis, not shafts, so I guess shaft strength isn't really an issue for you?