Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ke1* Lowering

Featured Replies

considering lowering my ke11 at the front,

 

obviously cutting the springs is an option but i am going to steer clear of that as its dodgey..

 

what setups are people running? brand of dampeners and springs..?

 

i have had a bit of a look around there is not to much out there for ke10's most places only have listings from ke20 onwards..

 

are ke20 front struts different from ke11??

 

any help is greatly appreciated

 

cheers

 

henry :)

  • Replies 41
  • Views 38.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Henry,

 

Lowering the front only will look a bit odd. Back when they came out a lowering block was used on top of the transverse leaf spring that would drop it around 40mm max. Same up the back blocks will do it. These days however resetting the springs is the done thing. Flattening the front leaf will get you upto 50mm + but then you will have to replace the oil strut with an insert shocky. RX7 Mazda will fit in the tube and have the right length of piston travel. Only problem is getting the strut body and spring back in can be a bitch. When setting up the front of mine which was more than a 50mm drop had to have the coil spring reset as well. Rear same thing reset leaf springs with reverse eyes will drop it 50mm + and HQ wagon Shocks will have correct piston travel.

Down side of all this is suspension travel will be so reduced it can be a very choppy ride especially with stiff shock valving. Any half decent suspension place will be able to do the job of spring reset.

 

Cheers Majordad

I'm going to be resetting the front a smidge lower on my ke11, but definitely not that low. rear already is tweaked.

 

Robert.

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

hmmm cheers for the replys...

 

well see which path i go down... maybe chuck some 40mm blocks in for the time being...

Yeah I chopped the shit out of my front springs. I also used ke30 shocks. They have a bit shorter stroke than ke10. Still nowhere near captive springs. Springs are just chopped ke20 not very stiff IMO.

 

I haven’t lowered the back yet. It looks pretty stupid and handled even worse.

 

I’ve also taken out the transverse leaf spring and installed a WhiteLine sway bar.

 

I want to get shorter stroke strut inserts and cut down the strut tube. Or perhaps find a way to use different struts altogether.

post-5552-1251890535_thumb.jpg

post-5552-1251890577_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rolliac

  • 1 month later...

I'm going to point out that playing with the coil springs shouldn't do very much at all to the ride height as the leaf takes most of the weight.....

 

I'd get the spring reset.

 

Robert.

T3 have weld-on coilovers for 199$. For 70-74 Corolla.

The problem with quoting a 70-74 corolla is that even though the KE11 was made in 1970 and shares it's suspension with the KE10, when most people, books or catalogues quote a 1970 corolla they mean the KE20....

Ok so can someone explain to me what the leaf actually does...

 

Pros and Cons of removing it altogether? ;)

The leaf does most of the work, it's taking most of the spring load while the coils are pretty soft and don't do much. It also acts as a swaybar.

 

Interestingly though, the front end will have a progressive spring rate with this setup. I'd like to see someone actually tune these front end's.

 

People usually swap the KE20 strut tops over and then run a KE20 spring, modified for height. If I were you I'd do that strut top swap, remove the leaf, add a swaybar and talk to Ryan (SLO-030) about getting a set of custom made coils for the front with the spring rate of choice.

 

Dampers are the other issue that I've not really looked into.

The leaf does most of the work, it's taking most of the spring load while the coils are pretty soft and don't do much. It also acts as a swaybar.

 

Interestingly though, the front end will have a progressive spring rate with this setup. I'd like to see someone actually tune these front end's.

 

People usually swap the KE20 strut tops over and then run a KE20 spring, modified for height. If I were you I'd do that strut top swap, remove the leaf, add a swaybar and talk to Ryan (SLO-030) about getting a set of custom made coils for the front with the spring rate of choice.

 

Dampers are the other issue that I've not really looked into.

 

Thanks Tom.

 

Actually the more I think about it that makes sense. The original coil springs are just too soft so as long as I use stiffer springs and a swaybar without the leaf I should be fine.

 

I was starting to get worried I couldn't lower this thing. It has already been lowered in the back with reset leafs so I want it matching ;)

Well Whiteline still stock the swaybar so that is one box ticked :)

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.