Auto Gearbox For 5k Motor

chadd1981

Hey, i have a 5k motor in my suzuki sierra ute and i am wanting to change the gearbox to a auto instead of manual. What cars can i get a gearbox out of that would match up with the 5k motor. I don't care much about the shifter position at this stage cause i will probably need to modify anyway to fit the suzuki. i have read that you can use a few different types with changing the bell housings but would like to see if i can get one that would just mount straight up.

Members dont see this ad

1968-1983 corolla's with Auto gearboxes will fit, as long as they had a K engine in them.

The early models, 68-72 have the 2 speed toyoglide - probably not what you want.

The Later models, KE30, KE55, KE70 ran a 3 speed trimatic box which is probably what you want. Any toyota wrecker should have one, just make sure it's off a K engine and you'll be fine.

Depending on how much you want to spend, for a much newer gearbox you could always use an auto box from a 7kc/e townace. Because they have the little bonnets.....

BL100A_t.jpg

.....They actually have a normal gearbox layout instead of a column/dash shift auto like most other vans.

The 7k gearboxes are much stronger than any other KE gearbox, the manual ones are basically a W56!

I'm actually about to build a similar project to yours (K motor in a sierra chassis) and as I want a manual I'm using a K-W bellhousing and W50 gearbox and I don't trust a K40/50 to turn 4 wheels!! :P

Depending on how much you want to spend, for a much newer gearbox you could always use an auto box from a 7kc/e townace. Because they have the little bonnets.....

BL100A_t.jpg

.....They actually have a normal gearbox layout instead of a column/dash shift auto like most other vans.

The 7k gearboxes are much stronger than any other KE gearbox, the manual ones are basically a W56!

I'm actually about to build a similar project to yours (K motor in a sierra chassis) and as I want a manual I'm using a K-W bellhousing and W50 gearbox and I don't trust a K40/50 to turn 4 wheels!! :P

Do these gearbox' sbolt straight up to the 5k or what needs to be done to make them fit??

Yes they bolt straight up to the back of any K motor. You would just need to use a 7k flex-plate and torque converter. :P

Do you have any ideas on what these gearboxes would cost from a wrecker complete with the flex plate and torque converter?? also do you know what they are called or have any info on them so that i can start the search for them.

Cheers

Do you have any ideas on what these gearboxes would cost from a wrecker complete with the flex plate and torque converter?? also do you know what they are called or have any info on them so that i can start the search for them.

Cheers

This is why I said "depending on how much you want to spend...." as you would probably be looking at around $600-$800 for everything I reckon.

Not cheap considering you should be able to get a toyoglide or GM 3 speed basically for free, but much much stronger.