October 2, 200916 yr comment_378394 the standard diffs for them are the cone type though and from the reports I get don't lock hard from even the factory. Any idea on wha it costs to get an axle shortened? Report
January 6, 201016 yr comment_403186 the standard diffs for them are the cone type though and from the reports I get don't lock hard from even the factory. Any idea on wha it costs to get an axle shortened? you can get billet axles made up from $300-750 depending on specs, and be careful how axles are shortend some less than par workshops will cut a section out of the axle and weld it back together when they should be docking it to length and resplining it if you supply a diff your looking at about $1000 to get it shortend to suit Report
January 6, 201016 yr comment_403188 rewelding an axle, thats some scary shit anyway I did some research on my own and I found I can get the axle shorted for $160 each side, however due to the shape of the axle I would need to use the long axle to do the shorter side. On an R31 diff this is the only side you want to do, the big bonus is the diff pinion ends up being close to the middle. I may off this service in the future if there is enough demand, it would be tricky to chop and reweld the diff housing accurately but I think I would be up for it. Anyone else done it? Report
January 6, 201016 yr comment_403215 Yeh, done it. in a ke25 the pinion ends up within 10mm off centre using the short axel in the long side. My uncle has made up a jig for shortening these diffs, You bolt the diff to the jig with backing plate bolts, bolt the tube sections via the brake bolts to a sliding type arrangement on both sides, slide in, and weld up. easy. The hard part is the heat involved in most cases warps the housing. So a bit of heating and shrinking to straighten the whole thing out again is the time consuming part, and the part where some serious metalworking experience helps. Report
January 6, 201016 yr comment_403241 that doesnt make sense to me, looking at the diff the one with the shorter axle is on the longer side. it's the shorter side that needs to be shortened more or else it ends up being even more lopsided so you can't use 2 short axles, and yet you have done it, somethings amiss here. Report
January 6, 201016 yr comment_403321 Sorry, to clarify. no, you definately cannot use two short axels. Both sides of the housing need to be shortened, short axle goes in other side, long axle gets shortened to suit desired vehicle length. Report
January 6, 201016 yr comment_403333 thats more like it and I mostly agree, for something like your ke25 yes no doubt both sides have to be shortened. However for a KE70 or AE I would think just shortening the short side is more than enough. For an ae86 to take it back to standard size 64mm needs to come off. I believe in this case it would shift the offset of the diff from one side to roughly equally off on the other side. Report
January 6, 201016 yr comment_403355 so the tailshaft would be offset by 64mm. everyone likes their ke70s so low, Tunnel clearance for tailshaft and pumpkin could be a big issue, The smallest measurements in reality can mean alot. My ke30 runs a shortened EB falcon diff, the tailshaft is offset by less than that, and the floor changes required were big. Dummy the diff up in a ke70 unshortened in a non-central type position (64mm to one side) and check it out before doing the chop i think. Edited January 6, 201016 yr by oh what a nissan feeling! Report
January 6, 201016 yr comment_403359 well thats what you would think would happen but it doesn't. This is because the diff is on a fairly decent offset already, I wouldn't be surprised if it is about the half of the shortened amount at 32mm. As an educated guess it will just end up being an equal offset the other way. Report
January 13, 201016 yr comment_404986 well thats what you would think would happen but it doesn't. This is because the diff is on a fairly decent offset already, I wouldn't be surprised if it is about the half of the shortened amount at 32mm. As an educated guess it will just end up being an equal offset the other way. i'll be doing this in a few weeks hopefully we'll see how it turns out, looking at using a 9 inch rear shortend just need to find a semi afordable one Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now