Sloths Ae86 Project Car

Sloth

Yeah, the engine hasn't seized or anything, so once the new switch goes in everything should be good :P

It's a pain though cause now I don't know how I will get to work next week, lol.

I also wanted to go to the Canberra Celica Club dyno day, which is on Sunday the 20th :y: if everything goes well I should have the car back by then, if not then I might waste $55. I just checked the forum post advertising it, and it was $55 if you prepaid by yesterday (the 13th) so it looks like I might just have to pay on the day and pay $60.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rest of the weekend hasn't been too bad... (except for having to work on Saturday).

Just crossing my fingers that it all gets fixed soon so I have a way to get to and from work and so I can go to the CCG dyno day on Sunday.

• 1 month later...
The rest of the weekend hasn't been too bad... (except for having to work on Saturday).

Just crossing my fingers that it all gets fixed soon so I have a way to get to and from work and so I can go to the CCG dyno day on Sunday.

Hey Sloth. Been thinking about the perfromance issues I read about in the other thread. Maybe you should try and clean up the oil system as best you can if it needs it. I know my Silvertop was very sludgy when I got it, I litterally spooned some out of the head. It was disgusting. I also cleaned the sump out when the motor was out of the car. I left the vvt Solenoid alone and just changed its oil very often. The motor makes 84rwkw, so I can't complain about how it goes. Its better now with some tuning. So anyhow, now that I see the oil pressure switch failed, that seems odd. If the vvt was also playing up you would still have a good topend, and most likely make more power than what youre showing. Is vvt being turned off at the right point? Maybe it isnt shutting off?

Did you do anything to clean the motor up in case there are contaminants in there that are ruining things that run on oil pressure, vvt possibly, it also seems rare to have a pressure switch fail and spew oil. The pressure switch is something that can be sourced at any repco as its the same as most 4as and Id just get a socket and swap it myself if I were you, then you can have the car back instantly. If you can undo and do up one bolt you will be fine. Keep the old one and have a look at how it failed and why perhaps.

The ticks and pops at differnt rpms you hear are usually more about how your inlet projects sound than anything else. My Blacktop quads had a deeper note than my silvertop ones, at different rpm they whistle, or crackle, or roar. Its something you adapt to fast enough. Unless said ticking is congruent with some distinct performance loss Id not be too confronted by it.

Also, how healthy are your coils and plugs. If you didnt use iridiums it will run like poop most likely. I saw you used some old second hand coils, early 90s coils would have to suck by now. Might be worth getting the same set but brand new and seeing how that goes. You have a big old ground cable to connect the motor and body? Fuel pressure doesnt seem like an issue if you have good afr for the most part. How is the clutch working? Will it drop a skid and boot you in the butt if you dump it in first? Its gotta be something wierd, do you have a good set of secondaries after your factory primary's and what size exhaust pipe is used?(edit just read 2 and 1/4. should be good for decent power. 2.5 is too big IMO Headers look very nice.)

Edited by LittleRedSpirit

• 2 months later...

Fuses

Had a big trip down to Melbourne a couple of weeks ago (had to drive from Canberra to Melb, then Bendigo then back to Canberra). Before I set off I decided to take a quick look at the fuses and see if I could get the cigarette lighter working. Turns out there were 3 blown fuses (one of them looked perfectly fine, but changing it made the horn work?). Unfortunately none of these fuses got the cigarette lighter working (leading to some interesting times when both my phone and GPS were low on batteries and I wasn't quite sure where I was). But I made it in the end and so did the car (found out later I got a speeding fine to :fuzz: :bash: ).

Next Steps

Things have been moving very very slowly lately, due to lack of funds :( . I was hoping to have new wheels and tyres on the car by the point and be looking at sound systems and some more performance oriented mods (brakes, suspension etc). I do have a stack of 15 inch S13 stockies in the garage that I picked up, but I don't really think it's worth putting them on (as they look like crap and are all mismatching). The car is about due for a service (and I wanna get the tune and other issues looked at) so that will be the next thing it gets (probably before the wheels and tyres). Hopefully around the new year I will have a little more cash floating around and be able to give her some long deserved attention. I drive the 86 almost every day though and it's always a pleasure to drive. Just got back from a 2 week trip overseas and missed cruising around in the 86 so much.

If the vvt was also playing up you would still have a good topend, and most likely make more power than what youre showing. Is vvt being turned off at the right point? Maybe it isnt shutting off?

Unless said ticking is congruent with some distinct performance loss Id not be too confronted by it.

Also, how healthy are your coils and plugs. If you didnt use iridiums it will run like poop most likely. I saw you used some old second hand coils, early 90s coils would have to suck by now. Might be worth getting the same set but brand new and seeing how that goes. You have a big old ground cable to connect the motor and body? Fuel pressure doesnt seem like an issue if you have good afr for the most part. How is the clutch working? Will it drop a skid and boot you in the butt if you dump it in first?

Thanks for the ideas LittleRed (sorry I've been too lazy to respond).

I'm pretty sure the VVT is turning off (if I remember the dyno charts I think you can see it). Can be a little hard to road test, as it's usually going pretty quick and loud at 6000RPM :laff:

As for the ticking, I'm taking a bit of the "she'll be right!" approach, but planning to get it properly looked at at the next service. This is probably a bad thing, and this approach in the past has caused me lots of issues (it'll be already -> car ended up having a loose rod and running on 3 cylinders, it'll be alright -> fell through stairs), but this time I'm sure it will be fine ;).

I had new leads made up when the engine got installed, as for the plugs though I'm not quite sure... I think they are new, but I don't think they are iridiums (towards the end the mechanic was trying to cut costs a little bit as the price had blown out way more than we had originally expected, so there are a couple of things that are ok for now, but we need to go back and replace with new parts, for example the timing belt needs to be done at the next service).

• 2 weeks later...

Drift Charms!!

While on my recent holiday to Malaysia I picked up a cool Domo-kun which is now hanging from my mirror. A also picked up two dice style Domos from a friend to use as drift charms. I don't know if I will keep them on all the time or only when displaying the car/drifting. Originally I wasn't going to rice it up too much with drift charms etc, but I couldn't resist.

post-539-054590200 1288407208_thumb.jpg

post-539-012894600 1288407216_thumb.jpg

post-539-018672200 1288407225_thumb.jpg

post-539-092969900 1288407232_thumb.jpg

post-539-053861600 1288407182_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a while since I posted, so I decided to post a nice big update with lots of pictures.

SkidPan

Been visiting the skidpan lately to watch friends and take lots of photos. Earlier in the year I joined in with the guys from www.nissansilvia.com and I was lucky enough to get a spot in November when they organised a day again. After watching people on the skidpan for so long, chatting with some of the NS guys and getting some tips from Dereck from Fifth Gear I was able to improve quite a bit. When I first got on there this time I was able to get through most corners with minimal understeer shudder (by using the handbrake a lot better etc). Over the day I got a bit more practice in and reduced the amount of steering I was doing (in the beginning I was almost going full lock when turning in and correcting) which resulted in my reducing the understeer I was getting by even more and even managing to take the highspeed turn only using steering/clutch-kicking, weight transfer and speed. Since it's so much fun I'm even going again tomorrow to hone my skills even more!

Marques In The Park

Last week was "Marques in the Park" a free Canberra car show for local enthusiasts to bring along their pride and joy and show it off. I went along this year with the guys from AE86DC, we had a pretty decent turnout, with 5 different AE86s attending. While mine was probably the worst looking of the bunch it still had the goods under the hood and potential and it still got some looks.

All The AE86s

post-539-055631000 1290842722_thumb.jpg

160RWKW 4AGE Turbo

post-539-041010300 1290842764_thumb.jpg

post-539-058265100 1290842801_thumb.jpg

4AGZE

post-539-062154100 1290842778_thumb.jpg

n/A 16v 4AGE

post-539-040450200 1290842791_thumb.jpg

New Rims!

Earlier in the year I picked up some 15inch rims off a friend (they were sitting in his garage doing nothing). I got 2 Volk Racing meshies and 4 stock S13 rims (two sprayed black). I was going to put the Volks on the front and run stock S13 on the rear. After lots of umming, ahhing and staring at the rims I decided that I wouldn't like the look of the mismatched rims, so I keep them and decided to see if I could find some matching Volks or some other rims.

15 inch Volks (which one day I may put on if I can find another 2 rims to use at the same time)

post-539-011427600 1290843039_thumb.jpg

Just after Marques in the park, one of the 86 owners in Canberra (Maxhag from AE86DC) offered to sell me his old 14 inch rims. I liked the look of them, so I picked them up today along with some assorted tyres. Hopefully I should be able to get them all fitted up over the next couple of days.

Rims and Tyres

post-539-070825100 1290842961_thumb.jpg

Dunlop 175/60R14 almost new (going on the front)

post-539-076653800 1290842973_thumb.jpg

Yokohama 175/60R14 fairly worn (going on the rear)

post-539-055256200 1290842982_thumb.jpg

Rims before wash

post-539-013420200 1290842991_thumb.jpg

Rims after wash (still wet)

post-539-023548500 1290843006_thumb.jpg

All the rims, nice and clean

post-539-045397900 1290843020_thumb.jpg

New Jacket

My final Hardtuned.net hoodie came today in the mail, adding to my collection of awesome car themed hoodies and shirts.

post-539-081406500 1290843029_thumb.jpg

New Suspension

Next weekend I'll be installing some aftermarket AJPS rear springs onto the 86 with the help of Maxhag from AE86DC. I might also get some front springs as well, but will have to see when I can get enough time/money to install them.

Service/Tune

The sprinter is due for a major service (including replacing the timing belt) so hopefully that will get done over the next week; before I take it to the track (Marulan Driver Training Center). While it's there I'll get them to have a look around the engine and see if they can work out why it's only making 68RWKW. The sprinter should be making around 90RWKW (unless there is something wrong with the engine) so hopefully they will be able to squeeze out a little bit of extra power.

Skidpan/Track

I'm hitting the Sutton Road Skidpan tomorrow and Marulan Driver Training Center in 2 weeks, so the 86 will be getting a bit of a workout. Hopefully I'll be able to post up some pictures/video afterwards.

I've got lots of plans for the AE86, so hopefully 2011 will bring some big new changes. Hopefully soon I will tint the windows, add in a sound system, start cleaning the car up (to get ready for a respray/bodykit) and continue driving it, having fun and hopefully getting some time on the track. Some time next year I'll probably take it to Wakefield and see how it goes.

Edited by Sloth

love the thread Slothy..... Good work! Now I know the full story....

I see you washed the wheels. If you want the lip's to come up really nice, go over them with really fine wet and dry sandpaper (1800-2000grit) and they should come up with a really good shine....

Also, when you get the (worn) yokahamas fitted on the rims, make sure you tell the fitter that they are 'track drift tyres'. Alot of places wont fit worn tyres to rims (legal reasons), but will if they are for track use (rear drift tyres)

Keep us posted...

JoJo (Maxhag)

Edited by J Riftin

Cheers. I just used some kitchen sponges and an old toothbrush to clean them up. Didn't want to go too hardcore with the scourer side (didn't want to scratch off the rim/paint). I got some of the gunk off, but there is still a bit of black stuff on some of the rims (especially in the gaps), so I think I'll just slowly keep working on them (need to find something a little better than the toothbrush I was using).

I'm going to keep the stockies, so if worst comes to worst (and I lose all grip on the back) I can always go back to the 13s. At some point in the future I'll go up to 15inch rims, but if the tyres wear out before then (and I want to use the 14s) I can always buy some new ones.

i looked at this car before you got it!you buy it off an indian woman?i have a few pics of it somewhere from when i viewed it!i offered her 500bucks for it and she declined so i left it,nice to see its getting some love!

whats on in marulan driving centre??where is that?i realy need to get my hachi out for a play

i looked at this car before you got it!you buy it off an indian woman?i have a few pics of it somewhere from when i viewed it!i offered her 500bucks for it and she declined so i left it,nice to see its getting some love!

whats on in marulan driving centre??where is that?i realy need to get my hachi out for a play

Yeah that would be the one, she didn't really want to let it go (was her first car). I've still got a lot more plans for it (just need the money to make them come true).

Marulan is about an hour and a half from Canberra (apparently 119kms) just past Goulburn. It's only a small track, but can be a lot of fun in a small car (since there are no huge straights etc). Check out http://www.mdtc.com.au/ for a little more info. In two weeks I'm going there with Fifth Gear Motoring for their end of year "Christmas Rush". According to their site they still have places available http://www.fifthgear.com.au/index.php. It's not a full racetrack (you can only overtake on the main straight and a full lap takes less than 1:10) but it's still heaps of fun. Last year at the Christmas Rush we got about 4-6 runs of about 15 minutes each, so you get a decent amount of time on the track.