Sr20 Conversion To Ke55 Plus Rebuild Plus Pimpage

JDM55

Members dont see this ad

Probaly the best build to ever be on here

haha thanks alot mate not sure about that ,theres some pretty cool things going on this site,I'm just trying to do the best i can ,with what i got ,but it is starting to come together nice,

and thanks guys !! was great to hear it come to life !! but even more than that it actualy moved under its own power !!! be it only a few meters lol but she still moved , pushing the car around for 3 years and soon it will actualy drive :)

pretty exhuasted from the work over the last few weeks, going to try take a break for the week and orginise a few bits an pieces , before diving back into it , but happy with the progress and shouldnt take to much more to get thru the next stage of things :)

Man this was an epic read. I came from Google looking for how to do an SR20 conversion and found the mother of all rebuilds..

THIS LOOKS AWESOME, to the point that I signed up to the forum just so I could say what an unreal job you have done.

through the ups and downs of the build to see it get to this stage where you've got the engine in and started it must be an unbelievable feeling of achivement, and for it to look that good in the car as well you've done a fantastic job :)

I'm looking forward to the next install ments to see that it gets on the road

• Upvote 1

Man this was an epic read. I came from Google looking for how to do an SR20 conversion and found the mother of all rebuilds..

THIS LOOKS AWESOME, to the point that I signed up to the forum just so I could say what an unreal job you have done.

through the ups and downs of the build to see it get to this stage where you've got the engine in and started it must be an unbelievable feeling of achivement, and for it to look that good in the car as well you've done a fantastic job :)

I'm looking forward to the next install ments to see that it gets on the road

wow thanks very much for the kind words! , welcom to rolla club too! there will sure to be more things happening soon!!

ive pretty much pulled off tubing and bits that got it started so i can go ahead and start seting up the proper intercooler

piping and vacumm pluming, build a 2nd custom air box to specs that is required for engineering, build an exhaust system,

finish off the wiring properly as the dodgy wiring was just to see if my circuits would work ,and they do! so can go ahead and get them finished off,

also need to get the rear leaf springs reset and lower the back down and get some new shocks,

then I'm going to make a set of caltracs,parts are on the way for them :)

then from there redoing my hole front end shock into coil overs with a full hilux conversion so will be doing a full details on that one as some of

the info ive come across isnt to clear,so will do a big speal about that .

then onto interior, I'm doing some custom work to the factory seats, and getting round to installing my custom dash board,

and building a centre console custom to fit of course ,and alot more ,

so even tho i got it started that was realy just a test to see where i was at with things,tho it was bloody fantastic hearing it fire up in the car,

and this thing winds up so dam fast ,just breathing on the pedal sends it crazy haha for a stock engine faily sure shes a goer :)

so be sure to keep watching ,and thanks again for very kind comments,i hope my burbling along the way has some kind of helpful info that you can use your self :y: :y: :y:

Congrats on finally getting it to start again bud, i bet it would have been a massive relief

cheers, yeah it was a big ass relief!! specialy when it didnt start because of the few missing wires, i was freaking out!

haha but we sorted it out and yes its alive!!!

tonite i found this stone tray thing and wanted to see if it would fit around the sr sump,

but it didnt, it wasnt far off by to much ,i could have hacked it up and got it to fit,

but then id have to sand it and paint it ,etc,

20120216203635small.jpg

so i thought id make my own one,

got a piece of card board and bolted it to the underneth and drew out a shape ,then

cut it out and that gave me this

20120216203657small.jpg

traced that onto a bit of checker plate, and cut it out ,sanded the edges and drilled some mounting holes ,

20120216203729small.jpg

then to make it fit a bit better i bent the thing into shape

20120216203758small.jpg

bent to shape

20120216203806small.jpg

unmasked and cleaned up

20120216205538small.jpg

20120216205636small.jpg

and bolted on!!!!

20120216210311small.jpg

20120216210337small.jpg

tuff

20120216210505small.jpg

so the next major thing i got to take care of is the air box,

a few things with this box that i have to follow,

1 it has to be made of plastic

2 it has to have a stock paper filter in it,

3 it has to be well made and strong

these are the things i have to follow that the engineer wants to see,

then there are some things i want to add to the design as well,

i want cold air induction at least since I'm running a panel filter,

so been thinking about all sorts of designs and ways to make it,

was a bit disapionted that i couldnt have the pod filter even tho it was fully enclosed in a box ,

just more gay rules here in vic,

any way i have found away around that sorta, i got hold of 2 filters, one is the stock paper filter

and the second is a replacement for the stock ,made of the same stuff as the pod filters are made from,

a high flow panel filter should do the job nicely ,and a paper one to keep mr engineer happy :)

back to the designing came up with a very ruff idea,

48702807.jpg

yes it is a very ruff scribble that probably dosnt make any sebce to any one other than me ,

but thats scribble is my starting point , most likely change going thru the construction,

stock filter

48116685.jpg

replacment filter

13975386.jpg

so first thing i did was make a frame for the filter,something strong and a good fit was what i was going for,

so marked up a piece of alloy sheet and cut out a small frame that the filter would sit in.

51238523.jpg

and then with the other filter , this one didint fit so well,the rubber frame was a slightly smaller size so was a bit loose in the alloy,

but i found a piece of foam sticky backed tape and wrapted it around the rubber and then it fits all snug like the paper one, :)

61104735.jpg

39252652x.jpg

so with that sorted i have something to work with , it can give me the basic box size , so getting into the engine bay ,

put down some paper to start with something i could mark and write on, and first part to start the box off was the side facing the lh guard,

once i had worked out the lenght and height and shape of the side,i could go on to work out the front panel,

probably looks alot easier than it is, this box isnt just a square box , its got alot of angles going on ,so

it does get a bit trickey to figure out things,

35036829.jpg

so from side to front then a small base piece, all of them angled in some wierd way,

39828236.jpg

good bye to pod filter :/

19411413.jpg

sure dosnt look like much ,but these 4 sides and a base took me an entire night and half the next day to work out exactly,

and thats just the basics of the box ....

95791270.jpg

this is how the filter will sit,

84726829.jpg

with the basic box shape made, i removed it and made another one using the first one as reference,

then test fitted the fresh one back in the bay,

79013402.jpg

so with the very basic box shape the next problem is workingout how to attach the afm,

since its getting very tight in there i couldnt just slap iton any where,the space that

i choose was very specific,and allows me to use some silicone bends that i already have,

a new intake pipe will be needed ,

37554029.jpg

getting hectic in there !

86798824.jpg

94450738.jpg

so now i have the afm position , i needed to enclose it into the box so its sealed , this part a little bit harded that the box itself,

ended up using alot of triangle shapes to close the gaps around the afm,

97600849.jpg

this way its directly under the filter but still on a good angle to make connecting it to the turbo a bit easyier,

still its pretty mental ,and i have to figure out how to make it work using plastic! cardboard is easy to work with...

69726649.jpg

and heres the shape pretty much finished !! a hell of alot of work just for a box ,my brain hurts lol

26773614.jpg

next working out where the filter will sit,will need another frame by the looks ,a few more funky angles to deal with,

58509756.jpg

filter in

49239074.jpg

bought some 3mm plastic, this sheet was 50 dollars! turning into an exspensive box lol,

any way took apart the card board box again and copyed all the shapes onto the plastic ,

there was a fair few ....

55171764.jpg

85108868.jpg

and started to cut out the shapes,this took hours !

86618350.jpg

after they were cut out all got the edges sanded

95966549.jpg

laying out the parts and preparing to glue the first pieces together

71255969.jpg

using a epoxy glue ,joined the front base and side ,then taped it up to hold the parts while it dryed

53149962.jpg

and 5 parts glued!! this is rather a slow process tho, 3 minutes is the workable time, 5 minutes is dry time,24 hours till completely dry,

so have to stager the assembley, piece by piece,

13194299hc.jpg

i made another filter frame,mounted the alloy one to the bottom to strengthen it up a bit ,

31075630.jpg

88958991.jpg

Edited by JDM55