Sr20 Conversion To Ke55 Plus Rebuild Plus Pimpage

JDM55

and fitted to the radi ....

21454644.jpg

chunky....

39338264.jpg

wired up a relay for the fan ,so the wires are there when its time to connect up...

67628082.jpg

this shows how close the mount of the radi got to the intercooler piping, real close but no touchy :)

29262068.jpg

so heres the first challenge on this thing, the bottom tube is a bit long to start with and is aiming right at the alternator,

also the tube is 38mm and i need a smaller 36mm sizing, so thats the first mission....

36591006.jpg

next mission is, the top tube is on the other side, and it to is a 38mm tube ,again i need a 36mm tube,

i looked at this one for a while and figured if i had to i could just do an extention to get to where its spose to be,

but that ended up with needing 90 degree bends,extra tubing ,a step down from 38 to 36 etc so in the long run it could turn into 100 dollars,

just to extend that tube plus it wouldnt be that tidy, going to have to modd some more stuff,suprise suprise...

59524434.jpg

Members dont see this ad

went for a rumage again and whata ya know came across 2 alloy tubes both 36mm dia,one was a bit short and the other had a heater hose coming off it ,

after a bit of thought i figured i could use the heater hose tube on the top left and the shorter one on the bottom right,both tubes elimate the need for step downs,

which is great plus they will both be in a much better position to make them work,

so i tackled the top left one first,

i cut off the heater hose line to start with so i was left with more of a tube ,then i rememebed i needed to fit the thermo fan sensor into the line some how,so this turned out to be good also, i widened the heater hose hole a bit bigger and got a alloy fitting to sit snugg into the hole...

55929694.jpg

95876795.jpg

then taped the tube into a ruff spot and turned to what hoses i had,these hoses are from a s13 kit i got ages ago, so had a good look at these to see what i could make work or at least get a good start with....

67278571.jpg

as you can see, nothing lines up nice,

28473176.jpg

some more thinking and came up with a rather crude and savage way to get around the problem,needless to say,i didnt want to do this!!

but for the greater good of the build and to move forward ,i ended up doing some chopping.....

this is a 50 dollar hose and here i am chopping it with a razor blade,i didnt even knw if this was going to work,,,

79599993.jpg

also the outlet needed chopped, specialy didnt want to do this, since i spent a good amount of time to hand sand and polish it up!

92357400.jpg

:( 59655008.jpg

and the test fit ,bolted the end back on ,now to see if i can make this work! i must be crazy.....

my idea was to fitt the tube to the left side on the top, then use the choped hose,to go to the choped outlet.

more on that later.

not only did i butcher the hoses and the outlet but time to attack the radiator too,

first part was to chop of the top outlet completley and make up a plate to block that off,and semi chop

the bottom tube,i found the 36mm tube i had fits inside the 38mm tube

69837777.jpg

and cut out a hole in the other side...

79257914.jpg

67728797.jpg

hole cut

21082128.jpg

tube chopped and hole smoothed

49311125.jpg

bottom tube chopped out

20587612.jpg

made up a alloy plate for the top hole

78625107.jpg

this is the 36mm tube sitting inside the 38mm chopped off tube, its not snugg but wont mater,I'm going to try find some one to alloy weld them for me

50162780.jpg

and this is where the top tube with adaptor will go

28152775.jpg

this is where the bottom tube was before

56876059.jpg

and this is where it will sitt

22955260.jpg

this is the bottom hose from the s13 kit, it was waayy to long, so i choped it down a bit and started to play around with it,this took a while

but started to get it a bit closer to fitting and it was away from the alternator ,

36425777.jpg

the bottom hose was a good bend it took it away from the alternator,the top one was good to but to long,just needed to close up the

gap and get the right angle cuts...

64684148.jpg

after more stuffing around ,got it pretty close

56328163.jpg

much better looks like its spose to be there

96224411.jpg

some more custom haha found a vacumm cleaner tube that was the right dia to fit into the 2 hoses,used silicone sealer on the insides and

the outsides of the tube ,joined it all together and let it set, mite need to put some clamps on there later,dunno i sealed the F#$@ out of it,

pretty proud of my custom radiator hose haha

now just have to get the rad parts welded up and i can then fit all back in and get some water happening!

48802133.jpg

81945088.jpg

Really quick progress there mate, must be great to see it all coming together so nicely. Radiator shroud looks good, should help heaps, just try to mount it with some space in between, 20mm minimum is recomended. Also that last hose is a good idea too, it will need clamps though, also will need the raised edges on the joiner to stop the hose blowing off, or it will catch you out later on. Maybe run a bead of weld around the edges to create the lump? :y:

Really quick progress there mate, must be great to see it all coming together so nicely. Radiator shroud looks good, should help heaps, just try to mount it with some space in between, 20mm minimum is recomended. Also that last hose is a good idea too, it will need clamps though, also will need the raised edges on the joiner to stop the hose blowing off, or it will catch you out later on. Maybe run a bead of weld around the edges to create the lump? :y:

HAHA I'm going hard out now!!! realy wanta get it started asap :) yeah thought about the bead thing probably should have done that ,ill try some clamps for start up and see how it goes,pumped now stuff starting to happen,and massive relief after dealing with the engineer so full steam ahead!! :y:

Other than progress looks good,

You are brave is all I gotta say with regards to fitting up the radiator, but looks a treat

Where did you get silicon hoses for an S13 i have searched everywhere, and trying to find a suitable fit

cheers,sloooeeely coming together, brave to fitting up the radiator? haha need something in there,it may not stay there for good but to get me going it should be fine,as for the hoses ,i bought a full s13 hose kit on ebay , there alittle bit pricey ,i just didnt want a hole bunch of random hoses ,so ive done the best i could to use hose from the kit, even tho ive had to custom a few of them , its seems to be working out with them,theres a hole bunch of differnt bends to play with . the radiator hoses for me were far to big ,and ive had to mod them a fair bit,

id say jump on ebay and search the silicone hoses on there , sure you can get the top and bottom hoses seperately .

so tonite,just spent a few hours and made a fuel line that goes from the pump to a small filter,

thought it be a good idea to have a filter before the pump,keep the crap out of it,

20120201210136smallc.jpg

then made a small bracket to secure the filter abit better,even put some rubber on the inside of the bracket..

20120201210002small.jpg

the other cover is over the fuel pump, made that just to keep the dirt and stones off it,

so now i just have to make a line from the filter to the surge tank, abit more tricky that one will have some funky bends in it,

20120201210855small.jpg

soo not much of an update today , tho have been working on the car,friday was a bit of a f#$%,

i took the radiator down to a shop to get the oulets welded up ,but the guy

told me that i can't use it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! reason being that the radi desgin is a 4 pass system,

the water goes in the top crosses over to the over side,then drops down and crosses back to the other side

so on and so on, now if he welded the outlet on the hole that i made , water would go in and only go thru one

part of the rad!!! i just thought a radi worked like ,water goes in one side water comes out the other cooled ,

so i was wrong

:bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:

the guy told me there is plates inside the tanks that direct the water and for it to work those plates need to be

removed,he was saying to remove the tanks and make new ones,

but the whole reason i bought this rad was to keep it cheap as possible,

making new tanks and basicly rebuilding the radiator would cost big dollars,

and they said for a full custom one it would cost 650 to 700,

stuff that!!!!!!!! so i left the place very disapointed , :sob:

i was on a good roll there for abit things were working out well,

any way i got back to the work shop and decided to try and save the rad,

theres no way i could aford a brand new custom one,that is just out of the question,

so only option is save this radiator!! and i need it very soon so i can get the engine started,

as that is my priority at the moment,

so to see if this guy was right i sliced the bottom off both tanks to see if there were indeed plates in there....

there was :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:

,any way a very long story short it was a nite of making crazy contraptions and extended long drill bits

i managed to hack out the plates blocking the water flow, spent a long time blowing out all the alloy chips and shavings

then flushed it out with water,

it was a mission and a half, needless to say i think i saved it ,and only extra welding that is needed is to weld the 2 bottom tank plates back on,

sat morning was a drive out to the rad shop once more,and showed them what id done, they said it will work now and just requies

all the welding up, so ive left it up to them to sort that out, wont get it ack till end of next week , but at least it should be fairly

straight forward to fit it up then,

next adventure was on the way back from the rad guys i went to pirtech which is a hose place ,they make all sorts of hoses,

went in and had to get some fuel lines made up with speed flow fittings, as the last few attemps have failed and resulted in leaks,

so this time i got them to use the proper hose with the proper fittings and they fitted the hose ends, so i expect that there

SHOULD be no leaks from those fittings, but apperently theres no gaurentees , so its just another case of dealing with people

in the automotive industry,

any way i put them on to the car and will see how they go ,

getting back from the shop with some fuel lines....

20120204115415small.jpg

in this pic theres lots of cash laying on the ground lol, -6 braided lines with speedflow fittings(not cheap )stainless bolts ,washers,nuts,and s/s hose clamps

20120204121658small.jpg

rolling around on the ground and got them on...

20120204155031.jpg

after that i worked abit on the boot .alot of wiring and fitted the amp board, and got most of the speaker wires hooked up,trying to keep it tydy but so many wires! is crazy, but looks ok i guess

20120205163833small.jpg

Sucks about the radiator mate. But a bit of welding will be alot cheaper that fabbin' a new one! Car's lookin beautiful man, keep up the good work.

thanks ,yeah thats what i figured too, i left it in there hands so hopefully they can sort it out ,and not charge me a lung a left leg and a ball sack ,lol , cars getting there , this weekend i should know if the radiator is all good and ill be off again full steam ahead!!