Te72 Noob Here

steamjam

Greeting from a Corolla noob.... :)

I have this yellow 1980 Corolla sedan (USA) that I got from a family member and I've been looking up and down the net for info on a few things. I ran into the forum and decided I'd give it a shot.

Do the 1980-81 Corollas use different struts then 1982-198x? My car has been lowered using coil overs and it needs camber plates to make the thing handle right. Can I use AE86 camber plates?

Some say that they wont fit at all.. Some say I can drill out the strut towers and install them at the cost of it screwing up my caster settings.

Thanks in advance everyone... ;)

Steam

Members dont see this ad
Greeting from a Corolla noob.... :)

I have this yellow 1980 Corolla sedan (USA) that I got from a family member and I've been looking up and down the net for info on a few things. I ran into the forum and decided I'd give it a shot.

Do the 1980-81 Corollas use different struts then 1982-198x? My car has been lowered using coil overs and it needs camber plates to make the thing handle right. Can I use AE86 camber plates?

Some say that they wont fit at all.. Some say I can drill out the strut towers and install them at the cost of it screwing up my caster settings.

Thanks in advance everyone... ;)

Steam

Different Continents had different strut top patterns, we have ae86 tops as a bolt in down here (In australia) for our corolla sedans, but they ruin your caster. I had to use Caster added tops for ae86 to get my AE71 sedan perfect.

I'm not sure exactly what you need, but one person who could sort you out with explicit and correct reccomendations for your car would be Gabriel at Techno toy tuning. Tonnes of people bag him on this forum but thats got little to do with him and more to do with people expecting the world for a few bucks. He is really good for this type of thing and being in North America he knows more about what your car will have installed than us.

You can use AE86 struts in the corolla if you like, but I'm not sure what the brakes and strut diameter was on your car. basically you want to use a 2 inch strut so you can get awesome shocks from trd, koni, kyb etc.

If you have a 2 inch strut then you can probably use ae86 power steering arms to get more lock. If you want an lsd get a Jap diff from an imported AE86 or look around locally for a gts and see what you can find. Basically you can swap almost all the sprinter suspension over.

Edited by LittleRedSpirit

Cool thank you. I Emailed Techno Toy asking about the caster deal and hopefully I'll get an answer soon. I like his camber plates and that would fix my "set of front tires every 3 months while wandering all over the road" problem.

You mentioned 2" struts: Is that the measurement of the I.D. of the actual strut tube? or the width of the cartridge that slips into it?

Sorry that these questions seem pretty darned basic...

Cool thank you. I Emailed Techno Toy asking about the caster deal and hopefully I'll get an answer soon. I like his camber plates and that would fix my "set of front tires every 3 months while wandering all over the road" problem.

You mentioned 2" struts: Is that the measurement of the I.D. of the actual strut tube? or the width of the cartridge that slips into it?

Sorry that these questions seem pretty darned basic...

I'm not sure if thats inner or outer diameter but the smaller series of corolla struts are only about 1.5 inches, and the only good shocks you can get are for a 60s triumph. Not really worth it or even for heavy enough car.

Its a standard size strut that Celicas, Coronas, High end Corollas etc all have. Even TE27 had the bigger strut I think, but the normal KE20s didnt.

If I were you Id be looking at my balljoints, tie rod end, and steering linkages too if the car is wandering, thats not often solely caused by strut tops.

Edited by LittleRedSpirit