Rt40 '67 Corona Exchangables

vltrb-0

hey guys,

been reading on here a little bit and I'm just after a hopefully quick response from a knowledgable member, basically my braking system on my RT40 needs an overhaul, components are becoming fairly non-existant and I'm thinking i might be able to get some replacement items off a newer model corolla (something around late 70's), I'm going to check a wrecker tonight but a heads up would be nice as to how interchangable are the rear drums and also an option to fit front discs with no booster

cheers in advance chris

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi there Chris

I know exactly wheree you're coming from about availability of parts for these (I had a '69 model for 4-5 yrs)

Might i suggest checking RT104 ('74-'78)/RT118 ('78-'81) for brake parts...

Engine parts are a bit more readily interchangable, the 2R is very similiar to the 12R used in most early Toyotas (Hilux, Hiace, Blizzard 4WD) to name a few........

Good luck with the upgrades & be sure to keep us posted with a 'Rides & Projects' thread..

The RT40's have front drums which suck.

The only bolt on brake upgrade available is the front disc option from an RT81 corona which itself is hard to find. They mainly had front drums available.

TA22 front calipers and discs are the same as RT81 but the caliper bracket is different.

Rear drums, it is believed the the jap spec diffs are an S series. The aussies diffs are borg warner.

Don't know if anything is interchangeable.

Also it would be a good idea to go with a modern twin circuit brake master cylinder instead of the original single master.

Check out http://www.toyotacorona.com/ for more info.

Hi there Chris

I know exactly wheree you're coming from about availability of parts for these (I had a '69 model for 4-5 yrs)

Might i suggest checking RT104 ('74-'78)/RT118 ('78-'81) for brake parts...

Engine parts are a bit more readily interchangable, the 2R is very similiar to the 12R used in most early Toyotas (Hilux, Hiace, Blizzard 4WD) to name a few........

Good luck with the upgrades & be sure to keep us posted with a 'Rides & Projects' thread..

went to my local wreckers last night, it would appear at first glance the diff housings from late 70 series corolla's are very similar, I'm going to take the drums off mine tonight and get a list of seals and lines to purchase

thanks very much for the engine compatibilities as well because I'm sure i'll be requiring replacements soon enough, but these things are built tough and i tell you i can't believe how smooth this thing is for a 42 year old car it starts first time everytime and travels smoother in my opinion that most new cars (obviously missing a few creature comforts)

The RT40's have front drums which suck.

The only bolt on brake upgrade available is the front disc option from an RT81 corona which itself is hard to find. They mainly had front drums available.

TA22 front calipers and discs are the same as RT81 but the caliper bracket is different.

Rear drums, it is believed the the jap spec diffs are an S series. The aussies diffs are borg warner.

Don't know if anything is interchangeable.

Also it would be a good idea to go with a modern twin circuit brake master cylinder instead of the original single master.

Check out http://www.toyotacorona.com/ for more info.

cheers for the info, i understand that this series corona also came out with a deluxe pack that contained a disc break front end but its becoming rare as rocking horse shit, i'm very tempted to look at replacements with regards to the master cylinder, not having a fail circuit could one day result in a fairly hektik crash, the hand brake is in good condition but its only going to slow me down so fast

once this thing is registered and on the road i might slap a little write up about it for those interested

very much appreciated the time taken to reply guys

I've only just sold mine and never had any trouble getting parts (had it for three years). I had an early 67 and always went to Global for my parts. All most never in stock but most times there that afternoon or next day.

The drum brakes work fine, just adjust them properly and don't expect miracles from a 40 year old car. It's not like it will go super fast anyway.

Cheers Chris

I've only just sold mine and never had any trouble getting parts (had it for three years). I had an early 67 and always went to Global for my parts. All most never in stock but most times there that afternoon or next day.

The drum brakes work fine, just adjust them properly and don't expect miracles from a 40 year old car. It's not like it will go super fast anyway.

Cheers Chris

any chance i grab some contact details for this global shop, I'm going to pull all this apart tonight fix the rust and reco the brakes, i don't expect miracles just expect to stop :hmm:

and your right the neck snapping power is impressive to say the least i hear 55kw from factory 42 years ago

I used Global auto spares on the Gold Coast 07 55710466.

Should be no reason why they could get parts and others can't. I suggest get friendly with the staff and they may try harder to source parts.

I also used Better Brakes 0755710271 to make up rubber brake hoses.

Maybe i was just lucky and got the last of the parts.

Goodluck

I used Global auto spares on the Gold Coast 07 55710466.

Should be no reason why they could get parts and others can't. I suggest get friendly with the staff and they may try harder to source parts.

I also used Better Brakes 0755710271 to make up rubber brake hoses.

Maybe i was just lucky and got the last of the parts.

Goodluck

after the biggest mission on the weekend i have managed to either replace, order, recondition, or remove every part required in the road worthy

i got all new wheel cylinders and lines for $240, whiper heads replacement, i had to replace the bushes but they were new so slightly pee'd about that one, gotta chase up an oil filter which is a bit of a pain to find. repaired the holes in the body, basically I'm buggered and just want a rwc now

but cheers for the help guys much appreciated

Mate,

If you need parts let me know what you need. I have a heap or spares laying around in my shed. From guards to doors, Bonnets, boot lids, Chrome trim, windows, windscreens. Engines, gearboxes, tailshafts. Interior pieces, bumpers front and rear.

cheers

Will

I'm in need of a right front guard indicator

i have a couple of those, i will get some pics and send them to you.

Have a look at this link

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/TOYOTA-CORONA-RT40-...=item23046711d3

Brand new Side indicators

cheers

Will

cheers mate send em to [email protected], i'm very keen to buy the indicator off ya as i need it for the road worthy, just needs to cracks

i have a feeling that your darrens mate?

his still got that spider bite from your rear drums and that HUGE cut on his hand

yeh your right man chris here, i think darren tried touchy feely with the spider and it smashed him

i dunno how he cut himself but usually he comes out with alot more damage working on cars

i got bitten on the arse too cained for like 4 days

should be on the road in a few weeks but i must say I'm fair raging at the mechanic for his crap road worthy skills, he's asked me to replace 4 items that aren't worn or damaged and has missed another 3-4 items that do need replacing