4ac Rear Wheel Drive Motor Into A Front Wheel Drive

madmax7

Members dont see this ad

Front wheel drive doesn't have a spigot bearing, presume you would be OK if you simply removed it.

The big issue would be whether there are any tapped holes to take engine mount that bolts to the 'front' of the engine.

Obviously you would need a FWD exhaust manifold, water outlets and water pump setup and probably other bits that presumably you already have.

Edited by parrot

Front wheel drive doesn't have a spigot bearing, presume you would be OK if you simply removed it.

The big issue would be whether there are any tapped holes to take engine mount that bolts to the 'front' of the engine.

Obviously you would need a FWD exhaust manifold, water outlets and water pump setup and probably other bits that presumably you already have.

thanks for that so obviously its just a lot of f@$king around hey

If your FWD long motor is shagged, but the ancillaries are OK, I imagine it wouldn't be too bad IF the front mount can be bolted up, and you just swapped everything over.

If the front mount can't just be bolted up, or the new motor wasn't real cheap (i.e. free), I wouldn't bother.

I put an AE82 4ac in my AE71 no worries, so i can't see why it won't work the other way round.

The engine mount threads were all there to suit each orientation, I just swapped the manifolds and cooling system.

So to put it simply, the blocks and heads are identical. Sump will fit either orientation too.