Ke20 Project

oversteer

Hey guys just wanting some opinions on a conversion that I am about to start

I have a decent ke20 that needs the standard rust repairs and paint work but is fairly straight.

I am going to do a motor conversion a little bit out of left feild and I would like to think is fairly original.

The weapon of choice is a 2006 yamaha R1 running through the corolla gearbox(so I have reverse) but I will run this from the output shaft on the motor so i will have a further 6 gears(24 speed ke20)

The specs on the R1 look ok to have some fun

178hp

130kw

110NM

I have alot of knowledge with bike motors in race cars and this should be a fairly easy conversion and if it works could be as simple as a bolt in kit.

No it wont be a 12sec car but it should be alot of fun.

Let me no what you think

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wont bypass it I'm going to use the output shaft to run the car gearbox.

so i can leave the bike motor in say 5th gear and then just use the 4 in the car if i want to run on the freeway i can run the bike motor in 6th.

on paper these are the 2 best ratios for the corolla diffs & gearboxes.

Do it. Sounds wicked. Post lot's of pics!

What other stuff have you dabbled with, I've always been intrigued by the twin bike engine clubmans they're building in the UK.

As far as I know we are unable to get these road registered here.

A friend of mine wanted to put a hyabusa engine in his mini and the engineer he contacted said no no no no no.

Have things changed, or was it a lazy engineer?

We were disapointed, would be lovely to have a sub 900kg car singing at 13000rpm!

Hell, it was always a thrill at upshifting at 21k rpm even though it was gutless(referring to my first bike which was a FZR250)

I have thought alot about the electric reverse but it just isnt pratical.

I want this car to be an everyday driver and trying to park at the shopping centre with electric reverse just seem like a major head f@#k

although a 6 speed sequential shift would be great I have plans to mount motor either way.

I have thought alot about the electric reverse but it just isnt pratical.

I want this car to be an everyday driver and trying to park at the shopping centre with electric reverse just seem like a major head f@#k

although a 6 speed sequential shift would be great I have plans to mount motor either way.

I've seen westfeilds compete in motorkhanas with electric reverse (backing into finishing gates, etc) so i can't see the difference. If they can make electric cars, surly you can make one do 5kmph in reverse with an electric motor. Thats how it seems to be done in the UK. Also, the less rotating parts you have the more powere you'll have at the treads.

Good luck with the bike box holding up to it. Youve got over 4 times the weight and over double the traction area of tyres on the road, the three little dog teeth on the gears in the bike box wont last long. May have to look at getting custom wider gears for bike box with alot larger dog teeth on them. Only need it as two speed anyway so there will be plenty of room in there. Will probably last a little while but don't expect it to hande hard traffic light launches for long. Only expressing my experiences with bike engines in race cars. Good luck. Would have rather seen an RG500 in it though!

I am fairly sure you can buy a simple gearbox that is just fwd and reverse, specially designed for motorcycle engined cars. I admire your enthusiasm, but seriously, for a daily driver, it would give you the shits. No torque down low. Trying to juggle two gearboxes? If you were going to do something like this (and this is even more left field) why not go DIY Hybrid? Think about it, a lightweight but ballsy electric motor and a motorcycle engine. No reverse? No problem, most electric motors can be run in reverse quite simply. Worried about lack of low down torque and motorcycle gearbox life? Electric motors make the most torque at 0 rpm, and having this assistance getting the car moving would radically improve the motocycles gearbox life. Some eletric motors can be made to act as generators, so keeping its batteries charged could be done by using the electric motor to "assist" the hydraulic braking system. Hell, with all the hysteria over hybrid cars ATM, you might even be able to get a governement grant to make it happen, LOL. Actually, that might be a pushing your luck a bit too far.

Hey guys thanks for all the replys

I have thought about all the problems you guys have bought up already when this car was just an idea in my head.

If I run through the car gearbox I will be able to run the bike motor in 5th gear only I would not drive it with 24 gears just have that option.

IN doing this I create a weak link in the system being the corolla gear box or uni joint that will marry the motor and box which means I will break them before I break the bike motor.

The low down torque isnt a drama like most people think even at 2000RPM the bike motor make close to the same torque as the old shitty corolla motor and that gets moving just fine

As for the electric motor sounds great but I don't have that kinda $$$$$

and yeas th RG500 would have been great and beleive me I asked the questions as I have alot of knowledge with them but part of my engieers report will have to pass RTA emmisions control not great news for a 2 stroke