No 1st Or 2nd Gear

Calam05

Hey all, my car (89 csx seca, 4afc engine, c50 box) has no first or second gear, 3rd and 4th work fine and reverse is fine.

because 3rd and 4th work fine, this eliminates to clutch as a suspect right?

what things should i check to determine and fix the problem?

ive got a max ellery manual, but they arent the greatest espescially when knowledge is already limited.

thanks in advance.

Calam.

Members dont see this ad

ive been reading other posts on the net, seems its pretty common and ends up being gear synchros or the gear selector. does both of these mean its better to buy another box? and if i get a new box, it'll probly suffer the same fate after a short while??

just wondering what the best option is here.

fwd gearboxs seem a lot harder to change than rwd. how much would a mechanic charge if i bring them the box in to swap it over?

if your gearbox is broken the bits will most likely damage other parts or already have,

so its not really worth fixing especially if its old and worn... parts and labour to rebuild

a fwd box and remove / install is around $1000 or so.

i would say your best solution is to source a 2nd hand gearbox for a few hundred,

get it checked over really well and then get a mechanic to install it for you for around

$200.

give the gearbox a flush and top up with new oil and maybe new shaft seals for the box

as these will be well worn and most likely be perished as well causing them to leak.

oh k then. just wanted to make sure i was taking the cheapest/best option.

I'm not too sure how to check a gearbox over really well. would i be better off buying from a wreckers with a month warranty or whatever they give (if at all???) just someone wrecking their car on here

although your gearbox is fwd this will generally is of use to you...

with buying a 2nd hand rwd gearbox:

1) make sure its the right gearbox - gearbox / bellhousing / shifter extension / ratios / input and output shafts / 4 or 5 speed

2) check external condition cracks / dings / bolts / seals / oil leak marks / sealant if rebuilt or repaired

3) check internal condition pour some oil out, see if it has some at least and if dirty / water trapped inside / metal filings or chunks

4) check gears engage and rotate input shaft in each gear to check smoothness

5) check gear freeplay in each gear, turn input shaft back and forth whilst holding output shaft still

6) check seals are okay, so it didnt run dry (replace seals later with new ones though)

7) check input and output shaft sideplay, ie wobble shafts and see if there is a lot of play

8) get a short warranty so if the internals are bad eg syncros etc you can swap it for another one

9) buy new seals and the correct oil for it (can flush it out - ie oil change after first drive)

10) get a price to get it done by a mechanic, it might be worth it.