Door Light Problems

gtnickk

I just signed up and love this Forum.

I just bought my first car, happens to be a mad 84 ke70 Corolla .

I love it, i was shocked by the number of mods you could do to them.

I have this problem with my door lights and clock. They just don't work. they were working when i bought the car and after we put my head unit in they stuffed up. And yes i have checked the fuses and bulbs and replaced them. After that i don't no what to try. Could someone help me or give me advice.

Members dont see this ad

often the door light switches go rusty because they get rain in them, and they fall apart inside. take the nut off and have a play around. you can use replacement switches from almost any car, they're pretty generic. i had to replace both the switches on my ke25 when i got it

Could it be possible that when you put your headunit in you accidently crimped/cut a wire you weren't meant to? Or removed a screw that was holding down an earthing wire? Else, check the door switches, if they aren't rusty then check that they're actually getting some sort of voltage. They work by earthing on the car body when the door opens. No voltage means trace wires till you find out where it's gone wrong.

Oh, make sure your light switch works too. You can test this by popping the cover off the light (like you do when you're changing bulbs). The switch will have 3 positions - On, Door, Off.

In On position it grounds on the roof of the car, the light should be on.

In Door position it tries to ground to the door switches. You can try to ground this terminal, and the light should come on.

In Off position it doesn't go anywhere.

If you have no multimeter just use a test light. Will be sufficient for what you're doing.

To use one, easy. Clip the clip to a ground (like... a bolt, or some other piece of metal that has no paint). Then touch the tip of it to whatever you want to test. If there is power, it'll light up.

Yeah i will try to post some pics and maybe you could edit them and show me what to do form the pics..........

what do you think, other wise i just have a stab in dark and see what i can find........

Edited by gtnickk

Hey ! I just had a quick look at the wiring diagram, and surprise, surprise; the clock & the courtesy light are both powered off the same fuse, which could explain why you have neither working.

The fuse panel is usually just under the drivers dash. Even if the fuses look all intack, take out the fuse, bend the fuse holding clips back together & reinsert fuse.

Swap a fuse, as sometimes they look OK, but have a fine break.

The cigarette lighter is the only other thing on that fuse. If you find the lighter doesn't work, then power from the fuse block is probably the cause.

Let us know how you go. I love Tamworth.

:jamie:

Thanks i might just check if the cigarette lighter works. If there is a power problem how would i fix and would it be easy. Also would this type of power failure have something to do with my head unit. Maybe it made the fuse box a bit dodgey.