Pulling Ke70 Differential Apart

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to revive this thread even though its not that old.

Putting the diff Back together.

Info: When i pulled the diff center out 4 (2 either side) i'm assuming spacers or something fell out. On either side one is thin and one is bigger.

Question: Which way do they go.. Thin closest to center or bigger closer to center. and is it same on the other side ie thin closest to center.

Cheers.

The rings you speak of are shims to reduce play in the centre, and its pretty important to put them back in where they came from otherwise your diff will be setup incorrectly.

If you didn't take notice of which was which I suppose you just going to have to install them each way and see which has less play in the diff.

I Figured it out Ended up having to go get new shim's from the wreckers coz i snapped one trying to get the dif back in.. Was weird, The ones i got today were completely different to mine yet same car :wink:..

Now i just need to fit to car and add oil etc.

:) The reason they are different is because over time the diffs have worn differently and been re-shimmed to suit. I don't really think what you have done/are doing is a good idea. I would be tripple checking the diff play befor putting the backing plate back on. If the diff has too much play its just wear itself out completely in under 6 months.

What, NO you shouldn't have any play in your axles. If you do it means the bearings aren't pressed on as they should be or the retainer bolts are loose.

The play I'm talking about is between the crown wheel and pinion, aka diff slop.