Steering Conversion

Just curious to know if this has been done by others.

AE71 engine crossmember with steering bolted into ke30/55?

AE71 engine cossmember used in a ke30/55 as a base for power steering?

I'm doing the usual 4age into a ke30. T50/stock diff lowered daily driver, not for drift burnouts etc. I want it to be a comfortable, easy/fun car to drive that the misses will like driving too. The thought of power steering has crossed my mind. I also have a complete AE82 twincam for parts. Also I have bigport trd copy extractors already and thought with a different steering set up, these extractors perhaps could be used because they wouldnt be fowling on the stock ke30 steering nuckle.

Ridiculous idea?

Thoughts?

Members dont see this ad

it could work if your were to try and get almost all of the ae71 gear in. this way you don't have to mess around with shortening or lengthening anything.

the x member will have to be modified so it will bolt to the car. also i would think that there would be quite a hefty track increase?

unless ke30 lca's are shorter than kesev/ae71. by using all the ae71 gear i would also assume you wouldn't have to worry about steering geomoetry. which would be good.

how about you give it a go? i know a fella that used KE70 everything in a celica to give it rack and pinion and also to have bolt in 4a mounts. but the x member was modified quite a bit.

Did this one weekend with a group of mates into a KE55 in about 1990. These were the days when you could get an AE86 disc rear for about $250, and it had an LSD centre in it. Happy times....

Anyway, as i recall it all went in easily enough, but I cannot recall what the steering geometry was like. You may want to look into that a bit more before letting your wife loose in it.

Essentially, it has been done many times. Have a look at a few rides threads on here and Toymods, and I am sure you will find all you need to know.

how about you give it a go? i know a fella that used KE70 everything in a celica to give it rack and pinion and also to have bolt in 4a mounts. but the x member was modified quite a bit.

Yeah id love to have a crack at it. Ill be doing more research and Ill be talking with a mechanic friend this weekend and see what he thinks.

Thank's for the replies

hey bud thinking of doing the same to my ke55 :bash: keep updates coming ill post up anything i get done to if it helps

Well Ive ditched the idea. The AE71 cross member needs quite a bit of modification. For a start the AE71 cross member is something like 40-60mm wider then the ke30. The holes from lca to lca are an extra 60 - 80mm or so. Its not as easy as just re-drilling the holes either as there is bracing in the way that would need to be cut out and re-added/moved for strength. Also obviously the bolt holes that bolt the Xmember to the shazy need to be re-drilled (no biggy).There are a couple of other things that need to be done aswell but I'm hopeless at explaining stuff. If youve got access to an AE71 crossmember, compare the 2 and you will see what I mean. On top of that, I was hoping not to have to make engine mounts but even with all the work done to modify the x member, its probable that the motors wont sit where I want it to therefore id have to make engine mounts anyway. Obviously It can be done but I couldnt be bothered.

Edited by Killar_of_giants

its probs not that simple but redrill the x member to suit the 30 chassis and centre it. then run everything kesev.

the whole front end. rack and pinion lcas etc. would be ugly from underneath and youd get a track increase i believ but at east everything is already set up. you'd need to change the strut top over to standard ke30 ones as well. or perhaps jst bolt the 30/55 struts in place of the kesev ones.